1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres what I'm deciding between.

1. AMD 165 DUAL CORE CPU - DFI NF4 ULTRA-D - 6800GS

2. AMD 148 Opteron Single Core - DFI NF4 ULTRA-D - 7800GT

I'm leaning towards the 2. choice and so is Yiffy. I'm almost sure im going to go with it, but I thought just before I made any decisions I'd ask you guys what you think. Also this build won't be upgraded at all for at least 2 years. Maybe If I can cut it to 1 year and a ½. This is gonna be a pure gaming rig FYI!

Tell me what you guys think!

Thanks, Josh

EDIT: I may go with the ASUS AN8-SLi motherboard. I'm not really sure if I should go with the DFI just beacuse I hear a lot of hassel is with them. So I dunno. Most likly I will go with the ASUS, unless proven that I will get an easy build with a DFI motherboard.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
get number 2 because it has the 7800gt and that will do you pretty good in games and the 148 is plenty especially when u oc it and the combo of the 2 will be nice...go for it! number 2

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
I also say option#2, Whats your budget? if you have no specific amount of money you can waste get the Opteron 165 + DFI NF4 ULTRA-D+ 7800GT.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
go option 2. the video card is much more important in gaming then the cpu is.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Budget is approx. $650. But the lower the better ^_^

EDIT: Also, what do you all think about the DFI board, or ASUS board?

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by josh13

Budget is approx. $650. But the lower the better ^_^

EDIT: Also, what do you all think about the DFI board, or ASUS board?

DFI.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any more opinions?!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^bumb

·
Registered
257 Posts
The DFI boards aren't the monsters they are made out to be. If you don't understand what something does, you can just leave it on auto. It's better to have the options than not

I'd also go with #2, a better GPU well do you more good than a dual core CPU.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by josh13

Heres what I'm deciding between.

1. AMD 165 DUAL CORE CPU - DFI NF4 ULTRA-D - 6800GS

2. AMD 148 Opteron Single Core - DFI NF4 ULTRA-D - 7800GT

I'm leaning towards the 2. choice and so is Yiffy. I'm almost sure im going to go with it, but I thought just before I made any decisions I'd ask you guys what you think. Also this build won't be upgraded at all for at least 2 years. Maybe If I can cut it to 1 year and a ½. This is gonna be a pure gaming rig FYI!

Tell me what you guys think!

Thanks, Josh

EDIT: I may go with the ASUS AN8-SLi motherboard. I'm not really sure if I should go with the DFI just beacuse I hear a lot of hassel is with them. So I dunno. Most likly I will go with the ASUS, unless proven that I will get an easy build with a DFI motherboard.

I'd definitely say #2 all the way. For a pure gaming rig, a faster GPU will go a lot farther than a dually CPU. Currently, the only real benefit a gaming rig's going to see from a dually CPU is being able to multitask more efficiently while gaming (not that important, IMHO).

Future games might see greater benefit from dual core CPUs than without... but it'll really be kind of insignificant if said games are still as GPU-dependant as this generation's are.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HA! I got good news. I might be able to go with the 165 + the 7800 + dfi motherboard! My granny just sent me $75 for my birthday (coming up the 27th)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bumb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts