Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will take some pictures soon.
I'm planning to OC my 4890. It is meant to be overclocked
Before doing so, I believe I need an aftermarket cooling.
Yet, I have those weird VRM heatsinks that has plastic rivets on it that holds it on the PCB. I believe I need to somehow pop it out or twist it out.
However, I think there's a very high chance that I will damage the PCB as they are very hard and barely fit into the mounting holes.

Anyone has experience with this? or shoudl I just leave them on and hope them could perform better than those Zalman heatsinks?

·
Registered
871 Posts
They are not rivets they are spring loaded push pins, at least that's what i think you are talking about

While pressing down on one , you need to squeeze it on the bottom and then push it out.Also they are fine and i would dare to say better then zalman heatsinks mounted with thermal tape.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
your better to stick with factory cooler. i put a synthe cooler on mine and was never happy with temps. just my opinion

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my best bet will be take out the the stock heatsink and apply MX-3 and call it a day?
Well that be safe going for a 950~1g oc? because I don't really know an accurate way to monitor the VRM temp. I also need heatsink on the ram chips, my stock cooler only covers to the GPU, any good choice?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts