Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there everyone


Here is some backstory and raw details. This laptop is a family member's and she is not close enough for me to trouble shoot it in person. I am working on it via instant messenger with sound bytes and pictures, etc.

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115592

The laptop is making some interesting noises, I will post some sound bytes. That being said, she has tried mostly everything, cleaning the fan thoroughly, blowing air throughout the system, etc. We found out that there is some "loose" plastic covering the GPU that could be "flapping" from the airflow inside and maybe causing this noise? To clarify a few things, the noise comes and goes at seemingly unrelated rates. We tried PSU, GPU, and CPU stress tests and none of the fans spin up and make this noise.

Can anyone identify why this piece of plastic is here and whether or not it can be removed to see if it is the source of this noise?

I will add some pictures attached below and links to the sound bytes of the sound the laptop makes.

http://soundcloud.com/suchmichael/laptop-sound
http://soundcloud.com/suchmichael/laptop-2
LL
LL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
***?... If you remove the plastic, does it look like you'll be having any metal on metal contact, like, anything that will short out your GPU? If not, I'd say remove it, it's probably not helping with temps either.

That's really the only time I could think you'd leave that on, if it won't cause a short, remove. (Maybe it was simply forgotten about during assembly and isn't even supposed to be there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,850 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nik12937 View Post
That's really the only time I could think you'd leave that on, if it won't cause a short, remove. (Maybe it was simply forgotten about during assembly and isn't even supposed to be there?

i also know they use plastic covers for keeping the end user from touching the components. i see allot of this kind of shrouding on power circuitry which could potentially cause a painful jolt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
I've found on many laptops that they leave pieces of plastic over vents for no apparent reason, so that may be the case here. I would take it off and see what happens.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by nik12937 View Post
***?... If you remove the plastic, does it look like you'll be having any metal on metal contact, like, anything that will short out your GPU? If not, I'd say remove it, it's probably not helping with temps either.

That's really the only time I could think you'd leave that on, if it won't cause a short, remove. (Maybe it was simply forgotten about during assembly and isn't even supposed to be there?
It doesn't appear as if there will be any contact if the plastic is removed but I guess you can't really tell for sure unless you're in there with it
I am kind of confused on what to do I guess..does anyone think this loose plastic could be causing the sound from the OP?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
this is also as much of a fail as how microsoft forgot to remove the tape off the thermal grease before applying the heatsink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazzyRussian View Post
this is also as much of a fail as how microsoft forgot to remove the tape off the thermal grease before applying the heatsink.
Microsoft?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
don't take it off lol. glue it down
That is another good option..it seems like the glue would have to go directly on the card..what kind of glue is safe for that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlahBlahBlah View Post
That is another good option..it seems like the glue would have to go directly on the card..what kind of glue is safe for that?
Anything non conductive.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: BlahBlahBlah

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by afunyun View Post
Anything non conductive.
Thanks for the help!

And thanks to everyone else too! Will probably try to glue/hold it down one way or another to rule it out for the noise source
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
Not the plastic.
It's the fan bearings that sound shot.
Gah..how do you test that? The sound comes on/off and it doesn't ever come on at full load when we force it through GPU CPU and PSU testing..
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top