Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got my HTPC all set up and running. Currently I am using a LG WH16NS40 as my disk drive. There was talk a long time ago that PC burners would have native support for playing the new 4k blu-rays however I have ye to try it out. Does anyone know if there is a way to play 4k blu-rays over the pc? Does this require a firmware update to the drive or will they not support it and instead be releasing a new line of burners?

Ive tried to google for the answer but there doesnt seem to be anything on the net.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
3,893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle1721 View Post

Ive got my HTPC all set up and running. Currently I am using a LG WH16NS40 as my disk drive. There was talk a long time ago that PC burners would have native support for playing the new 4k blu-rays however I have ye to try it out. Does anyone know if there is a way to play 4k blu-rays over the pc? Does this require a firmware update to the drive or will they not support it and instead be releasing a new line of burners?

Ive tried to google for the answer but there doesnt seem to be anything on the net.
As of now, there are no PC drives that can play UHD blu rays, I researched one extensively a few weeks ago for my HTPC, tried AVS forums, google, etc

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Why don't you try it? Running a disk that you can't read will not damage your components, it'll just not work. So I'd say give it a shot and if it doesn't work, report back.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
11,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle1721 View Post

As far as i'm aware 4K blu ray requires a totally new drive.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcamaross View Post

As of now, there are no PC drives that can play UHD blu rays, I researched one extensively a few weeks ago for my HTPC, tried AVS forums, google, etc
Haha I just got finished doing the same thing but came up empty. Lots of people say that it should work ssince it already reads multi layer disks, but I couldnt find anything definitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTheuns View Post

Why don't you try it? Running a disk that you can't read will not damage your components, it'll just not work. So I'd say give it a shot and if it doesn't work, report back.
thumb.gif
Honestly the only reason I havent tried it is due to the fact that I dont have a 4k player. So the only way to try it is to buy a disk and if it doesnt work then sit on it until I can upgrade to something that will play it. Not worth it IMO if I can ask others that have tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhill2029 View Post

As far as i'm aware 4K blu ray requires a totally new drive.
This was my initial thought but as of now there are no drives that state they can play 4k blu-ray. Since this is the case the question arises how are people making 4k blu-ray rips and posting them on the internet? If a player can rip it it can also play it. I realize some are just upscales but thats not always the case.

·
Not a Fan
2,648 Posts
I thought there was going to be some "Super HDCP" in new 4K BluRay players so that only a stand-alone player (Think Oppo 105 or something like that) could play them and they didn't want any PC compatible versions so people couldn't rip the new format.

·
Stock
3,716 Posts
Technically PC derived blu-ray players should be able to play UHD Blu-rays. The only difference is the Codec from H.264 to H.265 HEVC. As long as your system has that codec you should be okay to decode and play the files.

I've been tinkering with this idea also. My Samsung 60" 4K tv came with UHD videos on an HDD that requires H.265 HEVC to decode. The 2015 UHD TV's had the codec built in since it was also able to decode the 4K Netflix content. I tried to connect the UHD HDD to my system which saw the files, however missing the proper codecs to play.

I'll revisit this later today when I get home.

Quote:
This was my initial thought but as of now there are no drives that state they can play 4k blu-ray. Since this is the case the question arises how are people making 4k blu-ray rips and posting them on the internet? If a player can rip it it can also play it. I realize some are just upscales but thats not always the case.
They may have been re-encoding the files into another file format such as H.264 or digitally capturing it wrapped under an .mkv

More info regarding UHD Blu-Ray:

Ultra HD Blu-ray arrives March 2016; here's everything we know

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/ultra-hd-blu-ray-specs-dates-and-titles/#ixzz45jC7YsFf

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyp36rmax View Post

Technically PC derived blu-ray players should be able to play UHD Blu-rays. The only difference is the Codec from H.264 to H.265 HEVC. As long as your system has that codec you should be okay to decode and play the files.

I've been tinkering with this idea also. My Samsung 60" 4K tv came with UHD videos on an HDD that requires H.265 HEVC to decode. The 2015 UHD TV's had the codec built in since it was also able to decode the 4K Netflix content. I tried to connect the UHD HDD to my system which saw the files, however missing the proper codecs to play.

I'll revisit this later today when I get home.

They may have been re-encoding the files into another file format such as H.264 or digitally capturing it wrapped under an .mkv

More info regarding UHD Blu-Ray:

Ultra HD Blu-ray arrives March 2016; here's everything we know

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/ultra-hd-blu-ray-specs-dates-and-titles/#ixzz45jC7YsFf
On AVS forums there was a file floating around that contained a few 5 minute UHD clips that were H.265 encoded. I was able to play them on my set through a jump drive but if I remember correctly for whatever reason it needed to be formatted as fat32. Everything I have read goes along with what you have said. Computer drives "should be able to play" the UHD discs. Like you said though I am not sure about computers ability to play h.265 since 4k videos have not been released for netflix via pc. As another user stated they may be doing this intentionally to limit the ability to have people do direct rips of the cd. Kinda ruins it for those of us that just want to enjoy the movie on our HTPCs

·
Not a Fan
2,648 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts