2,506 Posts
Well, here's what I'd recommend doing to get your fix:
-Play DirT 3
-Play Gran Turismo 3/4 on an emulator
-Wait for Project Cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have actually been looking for a good fun driving or flying game recently. I tried out F1 2013 last weekend during the free weekend...pretty disapointing lol.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand0oski View Post

I have actually been looking for a good fun driving or flying game recently. I tried out F1 2013 last weekend during the free weekend...pretty disapointing lol.
FSX is still awesome for flying.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yea, I've been asking around about PC racing games and all I keep getting are the ones with below-average reviews; I've even been recommended "Need For Speed: Rivals" (heard it was God-awful - also an EA game) and "Burnout: Paradise" (definitely one of the worst games I've ever played and a terrible ode to the previous games - R.I.P. Crash mode...).

So far, "Flatout" is the only one that really comes close to what I want in a racing game. I guess asking for classic American muscle, detail to destruction (i.e. your back windshield isn't always the first to go no matter what velocity or angle you get hit), and a variety of racing styles (off-road/dirt track, regular track, a mix of both, street racing, open world, etc) is a bit much, lol.

Fortunately, the creators of "Flatout" are coming up with "Next Car Game" (nothing like PC first!) and I've always wanted to support a game from the beginning. Looks like my only option, really.

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
Project CARS will be an option this fall. It's not really a "car collector" type game though. There will be plenty of cars, but not nearly as many as in the GT and Forza games. It's also more on the simulation side of things than those games are.

·
Registered
974 Posts
yeah project cars is nice, ive got it on early access and it does seem alright, steering system is very good. Also nfs shift 2 maybe? turn off every help opts and try to race
wink.gif

·
^_^
2,600 Posts
Most fun in vehicles I've had in videogames recently is in Far Cry 3. I know it's not what you're looking for, but it's fun.
tongue.gif

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,471 Posts
Assetto Corsa and Project C.A.R.S. will be the closest thing we get, and they'll be much better. They'll have a nice lineup of production cars like Forza/GT, but then with all the sim aspects we get on PC (much more realistic driving physics and tuning, more classes of race cars, we'll see what else when they release). Otherwise, you'll find actual racing sims on PC like GTR 2, F1 series, and iRacing, but they're limited to a specific selection of car classes and they're strictly racing simulators, not loose driving simulators like Forza/GT.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Euro Truck Simulator 2?
tongue.gif
Project Cars were developed by the same people that made Shift 2. The good thing about that is that they extensively focus on the sound of the car, unlike GT where it sounds like a vacuum cleaner
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRhoades View Post

Project CARS will be an option this fall. It's not really a "car collector" type game though. There will be plenty of cars, but not nearly as many as in the GT and Forza games. It's also more on the simulation side of things than those games are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

Assetto Corsa and Project C.A.R.S. will be the closest thing we get, and they'll be much better. They'll have a nice lineup of production cars like Forza/GT, but then with all the sim aspects we get on PC (much more realistic driving physics and tuning, more classes of race cars, we'll see what else when they release). Otherwise, you'll find actual racing sims on PC like GTR 2, F1 series, and iRacing, but they're limited to a specific selection of car classes and they're strictly racing simulators, not loose driving simulators like Forza/GT.
Are you just saying that because 'PC vs Console'?

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTurn View Post

No, I'm saying that as a sim racer who's played most of the offerings out there. I'm also a pCARS member so I suppose I could be slightly biased, but I genuinely do think it's a real sim.

·
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer
14,471 Posts
Quote:

Nope. I have Assetto Corsa, Forza 4, Gran Turismo 5, Gran Turismo 4, and Gran Turismo 3. The gap in realism is enormous, and we've already seen a bit of the vehicle lineup in Assetto Corsa and Project C.A.R.S.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Quote:

Project CARS will be an option this fall. It's not really a "car collector" type game though. There will be plenty of cars, but not nearly as many as in the GT and Forza games.
rolleyes.gif
Quote:

No, I'm saying that as a sim racer who's played most of the offerings out there. I'm also a pCARS member so I suppose I could be slightly biased, but I genuinely do think it's a real sim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

Nope. I have Assetto Corsa, Forza 4, Gran Turismo 5, Gran Turismo 4, and Gran Turismo 3. The gap in realism is enormous, and we've already seen a bit of the vehicle lineup in Assetto Corsa and Project C.A.R.S.
No offense just trying to understand something, do you guys race in reality?

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
Quote:

No offense just trying to understand something, do you guys race in reality?
I have not, no. What I have done is driven the sims that have been touted as being the most realistic. I'm using those as a baseline for the comparison.

There's also the fact that Slightly Mad Studios have acquired the services of Ben Collins and Nicolas Hamilton, both pro racing drivers, to help them with the development of the game. There's two big threads on the WMD forum with all of their highly detailed and honest feedback throughout the development. If they say something's realistic, I'm inclined to believe them.

Here's an example of said feedback:
gpBWHut.png

·
Registered
369 Posts
im inexperience w/ these games & would love to see msft drop the x1 exclusivity for forza, but i can say that once you play assetto corsa (even with pad) shift 2 will seem virtually worthless. AC has a fantastic feel & while the collection is relatively small (but growing), a lot of effort clearly goes into the cars, the tracks are laser scanned (all major european courses will be available by sept, when the nordschliefe/dream pack DLC hits w/ 10 user voted cars).

the small stable might seem a putoff but, to someone inexperienced like myself, it's plenty as long as as kunos continues to grow it. the latest car (huayra) is very difficult to drive on a track like imola w/ the semislick tires. any car + track combination is going to take some time to get your best out of. i only run a few laps a day atm & i can say i am master of absolutely nothing, even on the gamer settings. i'd highly recommend it, though i am really hoping pcars can deliver something in a perfect middleground between it & forza.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts