Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the hell is the deal with this thing? I'm using my PS3's browser right now due to my laptops' charger being bittten in half and my rig being in pieces, and this browser blows. I thought this almighty PS3 Cell processor that some of these PS fanboys would be able to browse the internet rather quickly, and that the "ZOMG GRAFICZ" would allow it not to look like I was using a browser from 1996, but I guess I was wrong.

My eyes already hurt from using this crap. -_-

Are there any updates I don't know about that will allow me to browse the internet somewhat comfortably on this "godly machine"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,031 Posts
Well, sue Sony for starters. Secondly, put your PC back together. The PS3 web browser is crap. Or use the Wii's web browser.
 

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
Joined
·
3,000 Posts
Indeed the PS3 web browser is really only acceptable in a serious pinch.

Quote:


Originally Posted by ablearcher
View Post

Not much you can do about it. My PS3 hasn't been updated to the update that launched last night, so I can only state that it's useable...


What does last nights update do?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sue Sony you say...?


I think you may be onto something here, Ben.

I think I'm just going to sell this damn thing. Never play it anyway, seeing as when I do, all I hear are a bunch of whiney 12 year olds who sound like crap because they stole their mothers Bluetooth headset so they can QQ. :/

Craigslist FTW.

Oh, is there a way I can install Linux on this thing and still connect to the internet?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,451 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Deagle50ae
View Post

Indeed the PS3 web browser is really only acceptable in a serious pinch.

What does last nights update do?

Add PSN Plus, and a few other things I do not recall. I'm not at home, right now, so I don't really know
.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by Maddog7771
View Post

You can only install Linux on the older ones. IE the non slim ones. And it was not made for web browsing.

This is a fatty PS3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
The web browser is actually surprisingly fast, at least for me. It isn't exactly eye-candy, but as for speed... it runs the same (if not faster) than the latest Chrome release.

Any of you unlucky bastards who experience the opposite feel like acting like a fool in response to this, then save your breath and get some sun. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by Zinxe
View Post

The web browser is actually surprisingly fast, at least for me. It isn't exactly eye-candy, but as for speed... it runs the same (if not faster) than the latest Chrome release.

Any of you unlucky bastards who experience the opposite feel like acting like a fool in response to this, then save your breath and get some sun. Thanks in advance.

wat

IE on my HTPC runs considerable faster than the PS3's browser does... IE....faster... weird.

Chrome is virtually instantaneous on my rig, so it's definitely faster than this poo.

I need to put my rig back together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
For some reason, why I see posts like this - my brain translates it as:

"I have this problem, so this must be common and everyone will have the same results."

In all honesty, I sympathize with your issue and yes I agree that the PS3 Browser does leave something to be desired.

However, I've never had a speed issue with the browser or any other online function. (Though I did suffer from random disconnects and lag spikes playing resistance during release week..but that is expected.)

Of course I've had a few friends who had connection and speed issues...and I've had friends who agree with me..it's purely circumstantial...

Speed wise, I'm comfortable with it. Though I just use my laptop, PC or Droid to browse for something. I know the PS3 wasn't designed with browser speed as a top priority.

It's there simply because Sony wanted it there. Not to compete with Chrome, IE, FireFox, Opera etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Raiyu
View Post

For some reason, why I see posts like this - my brain translates it as:

"I have this problem, so this must be common and everyone will have the same results."

In all honesty, I sympathize with your issue and yes I agree that the PS3 Browser does leave something to be desired.

However, I've never had a speed issue with the browser or any other online function. (Though I did suffer from random disconnects and lag spikes playing resistance during release week..but that is expected.)

Of course I've had a few friends who had connection and speed issues...and I've had friends who agree with me..it's purely circumstantial...

Speed wise, I'm comfortable with it. Though I just use my laptop, PC or Droid to browse for something. I know the PS3 wasn't designed with browser speed as a top priority.

It's there simply because Sony wanted it there. Not to compete with Chrome, IE, FireFox, Opera etc.

Exactly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Back in 2006 when I got my PS3, the browser was perfect. "Web 2.0" pages screw it over. (i.e Facebook, Youtube). But simple web pages like OCN here it does just fine. I use mine everyday. But my computer is downstairs and usually off. So if I need to google something my Ps3 (or iPod) is faster.
 

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
Joined
·
3,000 Posts
Indeed.
I'd like to revoke my statement. The only thing I really hate about the PS3 web browser... is that I'm too lazy to get a keyboard hooked up. lol
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:


Originally Posted by Deagle50ae
View Post

Indeed.
I'd like to revoke my statement. The only thing I really hate about the PS3 web browser... is that I'm too lazy to get a keyboard hooked up. lol

Got my mouse and keyboard hooked up.


It's not too bad, it's just so.....unresponsive. It's like trying to surf the web on a P4 while running Prime95 and LinX at the same time. It's that bad. It just feels so clunky.


Hopefully my replacement laptop charger will come by Friday so I can get rid of this wretched thing. -_-
 

·
The Newt in Overclock.net
Joined
·
3,000 Posts
Except it support flash and several useful plugin types. it's hardly "tacked on"
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top