Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been out of video games for about 5 years now (babies tied up all my time). My last video card for games was TNT card.. (Please don't laugh! hehe.) I am now in the market for a new or used video card for some new games such as Call of duty 2, HL2, etc.. Can any one of the experts here give me some advice on which AGP card should I aim for ? I don't mind to OC for better performance and value. My budget is about US$200 for used/new. I was thinking about X800GTO, X800XL, X850 PRO or 6800GS. Are these cards good for OC in AGP setup ? Which one has the best overall OC capabilities and highest returning ratio ?

My PC setup isa Seanix P4 3Ghz with 865 chipset, 512 RAM. I tried to OC my CPU/Motherboard, but the BIOS has no option for me to enabling the FSB at all..
Many thanks in advance...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would have to recommend this baby right here. Really great performance, price and it has shader model 3. I'm not sure if these have been able to unlock but someone else might know. Also, as a sidenote you might want to think about getting another 512mb stick of ram so your games will load and run a little faster.

·
Need moar megahertz
852 Posts
i would start by adding another 512 megs of memory first.Most of the games require 1gb of memory for a smooth gameplay.For the vga card i'd take the x850 pro its a good overclocker and some ppl unlocked its 4 locked pipeline and got a huge performance boost. I'm not sure if you can find a new x850pro for under 200,goodluck

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just got a X850 pro and was luckey enough to unlock it to a X850xtpe w/ 16 pipes. I paid next to nothing of it on eBay and it does Quake 4 65+ fps consistant on "high". Thats my recomendation.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Here's a vga guide from tom's hardware

I would second the recommendation of the 6800GS. Newegg has a really fantastic deal on them for $165 after rebate.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
You could probably unlock pipes on a 6800GS (AGP). Personally I got myself a 6800XT (130 euro), and unlocked 4 pipes and 2 pixel shaders... I can even run some games with 16 pipes open, best bang for buck I ever got.

·
Premium Member
7,252 Posts
I've seen that a lot of people who got a 6800xt agp could unlock at least a part of the shader/vertex pipelines. A 6800gs runs 12x5, but most people managed to unlock their 6800xt from 8x4 to 12x6 (as Andy above) so I don't see the point in getting a gs. If you like taking risks a 130€ xt could pay off. I can't wait the XT to be shipped in france

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The 6800gs is a great choice but make sure you have enough power for it. The antec truepower 430w or 480w (to be safe) is a good choice. Ive also heard good things about the sunbeam NUUO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts