Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I’m fairly Savvy with computers, but I’m new to the Idea of overclocking.
My sister has given me her old PC now she has a laptop and I recon it’s got some life left in it yet.

Processor: AMD Sempron 2800+
Motherboard: Soltek SL-K8M800I

I’m going to use it in my audio set-up at home to run a soft-synth system called Max/MSP and I’d like to turn the wick up on the PC a bit, but keep it stable!
I’ve ordered 2gig of DDR, DIMM, ram (400MHz), and a PCI soundcard to get it up to spec and I’ve fitted a much bigger Air cooled heat sync I don’t know if it’s any good but it was in the bargain-bin at Maplin and I thought it couldn’t hurt! At the moment if I max out the processor the core temp, according to some software called “core Temp†tells me it won’t go over 40 degC.
Could anyone suggest a strategy to overclock this set-up?

Bios Options (The ones I think are relevant!) options in bold are current
Frequency and voltage control
Auto Detect PCI Clk - Enabled/Disabled
Spread Spectrum - Enabled/Disabled
CPU Clock - 200MHz to 250MHz (and anything in between I think)
CPU Voltage - Default, 0.0v, 0.05v, 0.1v, 0.15v
AGP Voltage â€" Default, 1.5v, 1.6v, 1.7v, 1.8v
DIMM voltage â€" Default, 2.6v, 2.7v, 2.8v

Advanced Chipset features
> DRAM Configuration
Current FSB Frequency 200MHZ (Info only not adjustable)
Current DRAM Frequency 200MHZ (Info only not adjustable)

Max Memclock MHz â€" Auto, 100, 133, 166, 200
1T/2T Memory Timing â€" Auto, 1T, 2T
CAS# Latency (Tcl) â€" Auto, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0
RAS# to CAS# Delay (Trcd) â€" Auto, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Min RAS# active time (Tras) â€" Auto, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Row Percentage Time (TRP) â€" Auto, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

·
The Computer Guy
6,488 Posts
from what u have type down,the mobo fsb & dram frequency are locked,no overclocking that system,sry.unless u can get trhe software clockgen to work,but then again that would be a software overclock,not a hardware overclock

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
what he said. it usually happens with mobos from companies like Dell, Gateway etc who sell their own computers. f you can change the mobo you'll be able to OC...

don't leave OCN, though, lol

·
The Computer Guy
6,488 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jammybstard View Post
Bios Options (The ones I think are relevant!) options in bold are current
Frequency and voltage control
Auto Detect PCI Clk - Enabled/Disabled
Spread Spectrum - Enabled/Disabled
CPU Clock - 200MHz to 250MHz (and anything in between I think)
CPU Voltage - Default, 0.0v, 0.05v, 0.1v, 0.15v
AGP Voltage â€" Default, 1.5v, 1.6v, 1.7v, 1.8v
DIMM voltage â€" Default, 2.6v, 2.7v, 2.8v

Advanced Chipset features
> DRAM Configuration
Current FSB Frequency 200MHZ (Info only not adjustable)
Current DRAM Frequency 200MHZ (Info only not adjustable)

Max Memclock MHz â€" Auto, 100, 133, 166, 200
1T/2T Memory Timing â€" Auto, 1T, 2T
CAS# Latency (Tcl) â€" Auto, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0
RAS# to CAS# Delay (Trcd) â€" Auto, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Min RAS# active time (Tras) â€" Auto, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Row Percentage Time (TRP) â€" Auto, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Jammybstard, is this a brand machine or a custom built computer? This appears to be a VIA chipset and most of the VIA chipsets were not exactly overclocker friendly. In most cases when raising the HTT (reference clock speed) it would also raise the PCI Clock speed. When this speed starts going up it usually causes instability which would result in crashes, BSOD's, data corruption ect ect. If you can lock the PCI clock then you might have a chance. Look for the setting, "Auto Detect PCI Clk" and set it to Disabled.

When you have a chance have look at this guide. It's very helpful and should shed some light on a few of your questions:

http://www.overclock.net/amd-general...ing-guide.html.

I'd also recommend adding your system specifications to your signature. This will let us and others know what hardware you are running. You can do this by going here: http://www.overclock.net/specs.php?do=addsystem

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys, Thanks for getting back to me

Quote:

Originally Posted by thlnk3r
View Post

Jammybstard, is this a brand machine or a custom built computer?

I built it up a few years ago, very basic really, everythings on board at the moment.

Quote:

View Post

This appears to be a VIA chipset and most of the VIA chipsets were not exactly overclocker friendly. In most cases when raising the HTT (reference clock speed) it would also raise the PCI Clock speed. When this speed starts going up it usually causes instability which would result in crashes, BSOD's, data corruption ect ect. If you can lock the PCI clock then you might have a chance. Look for the setting, "Auto Detect PCI Clk" and set it to Disabled.

I've a bunch of settings:
Advanced Chipset features>LDT & PCI Bus Control
Upstream LDT Bus Width - 8, 16 bit
Downstream LDT bus Width - 8, 16 bit
LDT Bus frequency - Auto, 800, 600, 400, 200 MHz ????????????
PCI1 Master 0 WS Write - Enabled, Disabled
PCI2 Master 0 WS Write - Enabled, Disabled
PCI1 Post Write - Enabled, Disabled

Anything soud prommissing??

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jammybstard
View Post

Hi Guys, Thanks for getting back to me

I built it up a few years ago, very basic really, everythings on board at the moment.

I've a bunch of settings:
Advanced Chipset features>LDT & PCI Bus Control
Upstream LDT Bus Width - 8, 16 bit
Downstream LDT bus Width - 8, 16 bit
LDT Bus frequency - Auto, 800, 600, 400, 200 MHz ????????????
PCI1 Master 0 WS Write - Enabled, Disabled
PCI2 Master 0 WS Write - Enabled, Disabled

Anything soud prommissing??

Jammybstard, "LDT Bus frequency" settings allow you to adjust your HT frequency speed. When you start raising your reference clock, your HT speed will also go up. For Socket 754/939 you typically want to keep the HT frequency below 1100Mhz and above 680Mhz. Anything not between there and you might run into stability issues. Have you had a chance to read over the guide I posted? It's very help in explaining most of the settings you might find in the BIOS. Here is another great overclocking guide that is a little more in depth: http://icrontic.com/articles/a64_overclocking_theory. The continuation link on the first page(A64 Overclocking (Socket 754, 939) Intro) is broken so you'll have to use the back button on your browser.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

View Post

Jammybstard, "LDT Bus frequency" settings allow you to adjust your HT frequency speed. When you start raising your reference clock, your HT speed will also go up. For Socket 754/939 you typically want to keep the HT frequency below 1100Mhz and above 680Mhz. Anything not between there and you might run into stability issues. Have you had a chance to read over the guide I posted? It's very help in explaining most of the settings you might find in the BIOS. Here is another great overclocking guide that is a little more in depth: http://icrontic.com/articles/a64_overclocking_theory. The continuation link on the first page(A64 Overclocking (Socket 754, 939) Intro) is broken so you'll have to use the back button on your browser.

Good luck

Cheers Thinker;
I'll try and have a good look through the articles you linked over the next couple of days, but I think your saying It could be possible to use the LDT Bus frequency setting to compensate for increases in the CPU clock and avoide upsetting the PCI! correct me if i'm wrong!

I'll report back!

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jammybstard
View Post

Cheers Thinker;
I'll try and have a good look through the articles you linked over the next couple of days, but I think your saying It could be possible to use the LDT Bus frequency setting to compensate for increases in the CPU clock and avoide upsetting the PCI! correct me if i'm wrong!

I'll report back!

Jammybstard, slight correction

The LDT Bus Frequency just controls the HT or LDT (hypertransport) frequency. The settings that are listed are 200Mhz, 400Mhz, 600Mhz and 800Mhz. When you raise the HTT (reference clock speed) it will also bring up the HT frequency. This frequency can only go so high before you run into problems. That is why the motherboard allows you to make changes to this speed (ie. LDT Bus Frequency). Does that make sense?

Every BIOS is a bit different. They name things differently so it may get confusing.

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts