Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i am back again..... but this time its for a good friend of mine.
so yesterday, he ordered a new pc.. his specs were as follows...

intel i7 2600k
4gb ram 1600mhz (cant remember which one)
vtx-3d radeon hd 6970 X-edition
corsair 750w psu unit
asus maximus iv extreme-Z mobo - Z68
samsung spinpoint 1tb HDD
OCZ Agility 120GB SSD

so the only question he had was that if he wanted to only use the 6970 and not the integrated graphics, does he have to disable them? If yes. HOW??? I didn't had the answer for it (cause i havent used a z68 mobo yet), so maybe anyone of you could..... thanks!!! any instruction on how to disable the graphics will be appreciated..

EDIT:
Sorry if I am in the wrong section

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
well going to bios and pressing disable is 30 seconds work so it can't be that of a problem even if it were necessary to do
i however would go to bios anyway and disable it manually even if it does do it automatically

it will probably detect it automatically and turn onboard off

·
god loves ugly
4,240 Posts
You don't absolutely have to, but I would. Some motherboards do it automatically if a dedicated GPU is plugged in, others you have to turn it off in the BIOS (or EFI in this case). The specific steps will depend on the motherboard, so I can't really be much help here.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The default is, it will use whichever video you are plugged into as primary. In bios you can set it to use your PCI followed by internal, or vice versa if you want onboard as primary. Or you can disable onboard altogether. Personally I would leave it enabled as if something goes wrong with the 6970, jacking into the onboard will allow for quick and easy troubleshooting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts