Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will someone be so kind as to give this upgrade a once over for comparability? Also any upgrade suggestions are welcome. THIS WILL BE FOR WORK ONLY NO GAMING.

I also have an HD 6950 for my 4 monitors and a PC&P 750 that is ~8 years old. I plan to OC this but nothing crazy, hoping for an easy stable 4.0. I am near the top of my budget and may drop down to 16GB of RAM. I will probably show around a little for pricing as well. this is just a handy wish list..

Thanks for the help.

·
waifu for lifu
11,576 Posts
Hi,

what do you do for work where you need 32 gigs of ram?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More for future use. I have played around with the idea of running a RAM drive for some of the files I'm using but I may try it on the 16GB set and if it is a noticeable difference upgrading then. I will probably stick with 2x8GB. It will probably not be that big of a difference with the Samsung though.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
You're not going to OC all that far on an i7-4771, since it has a locked multiplier. If you do make it to 4.0, you're not going to need a beast of an air cooler like an NH-D14 to get you there. Heck, the stock cooler is probably good enough for 500 MHz on a Haswell, and something like a 212 Evo definitely would be. It's only an 84W chip. The NH-D14 makes more sense for people trying to hit 4.5 or higher, or people overclocking AMD FX chips.

·
waifu for lifu
11,576 Posts
Have you thought about getting the 4790k and sticking to the stock fan or getting a cheaper fan? It'll be cheaper and faster.

·
Registered
925 Posts
i second the 4790k, and i also would like to steer you away from that motherboard.

many people (myself included) have had issues with the pci e lanes. ie only one 16x lane will work. If you're planning on putting any other type of card in this computer, it may not work...

Id suggest going with something like the Sabertooth Z97 from Asus. It's a very stable board for a work environment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132132

other than that, without the overclocking, id say stick with a noctua, jsut get a smaller one....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608040

anywho....good luck!!!

thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
$1000 budget for only CPU/Mobo/RAM/SSD/Cooler? Also, what kind of work are you going to use with the computer?

I would probably give a wrong one but anyways, try this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mrnsP6

I would suggest to stick with 16GB of ram first, then if more is needed, then that is the time you buy another set of RAM.

I would also just go with a Xeon (E3-1241 v3 maybe?) for its processor and leave it at turbo. Its cheaper as well and will become a lot cheaper if you pair it with a non-Z board instead, leaving you plenty of room to buy an extra 16GB RAM without hitting your max budget.

The board i chose is arguably one of the bang-for-buck boards out there that doesn't skimp on anything.

And I just threw a CPU cooler that has similar priced with a D14, but looks better and also performs abit better.

HTH

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

You're not going to OC all that far on an i7-4771, since it has a locked multiplier. If you do make it to 4.0, you're not going to need a beast of an air cooler like an NH-D14 to get you there. Heck, the stock cooler is probably good enough for 500 MHz on a Haswell, and something like a 212 Evo definitely would be. It's only an 84W chip. The NH-D14 makes more sense for people trying to hit 4.5 or higher, or people overclocking AMD FX chips.
TBH last computer I built was a watercooled Opty 170 back in 2007? I saw the enormous popularity of these coolers and was readng how haswells were hot but I think those people were probably pushing the limits. . . . and your are correct, i was originally loking at the 4770k and am not used to Intels nomenclature. completely forgot this wasnt unlocked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikei View Post

Have you thought about getting the 4790k and sticking to the stock fan or getting a cheaper fan? It'll be cheaper and faster.
I dont mind getting a decent heatsink if it does it's job. . . . I was under the impression these ran hotter than they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtaylorx View Post

i second the 4790k, and i also would like to steer you away from that motherboard.

many people (myself included) have had issues with the pci e lanes. ie only one 16x lane will work. If you're planning on putting any other type of card in this computer, it may not work...

Id suggest going with something like the Sabertooth Z97 from Asus. It's a very stable board for a work environment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132132

other than that, without the overclocking, id say stick with a noctua, jsut get a smaller one....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608040

anywho....good luck!!!

thumb.gif
I will look into those links. one of the main reasons I liked this mobo is because it has m.2 x4 which can fully utilize the Samsung and whatever I throw in in the future. I will also do a little more research on the coolers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post

$1000 budget for only CPU/Mobo/RAM/SSD/Cooler? Also, what kind of work are you going to use with the computer?

I would probably give a wrong one but anyways, try this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mrnsP6

I would suggest to stick with 16GB of ram first, then if more is needed, then that is the time you buy another set of RAM.

I would also just go with a Xeon (E3-1241 v3 maybe?) for its processor and leave it at turbo. Its cheaper as well and will become a lot cheaper if you pair it with a non-Z board instead, leaving you plenty of room to buy an extra 16GB RAM without hitting your max budget.

The board i chose is arguably one of the bang-for-buck boards out there that doesn't skimp on anything.

And I just threw a CPU cooler that has similar priced with a D14, but looks better and also performs abit better.

HTH
thanks for taking the time to put that together. I was looking at the E3-1241v3 as I believe another member has one for sale but I wanted the option to OC. As far am my job, I am self-employed as a A/V integrator Programmer, namely Crestron/Lutorn. The budget was $500 for CPU+Mobo but I ran into a decent side job that let me splurge a little as I am an SDD speed freak. the 1k limit was arbitrarily set by me as it would be no gain/loss to me after factoring the side job.

My last desktop was the Opty 170 that I picked up right when all the Q6600's were the rage. no matter how well it OC'd I always felt like I missed the mark. Other than that all of my laptops before my current Thinkpad were the low/mid range processors and were never snappy. since I am at my computer 12-16+ hours a day I figure I should make it an enjoyable experience if I can. . . .worth the extra couple hundred.

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNEBTD View Post

TBH last computer I built was a watercooled Opty 170 back in 2007? I saw the enormous popularity of these coolers and was readng how haswells were hot but I think those people were probably pushing the limits. . . . and your are correct, i was originally loking at the 4770k and am not used to Intels nomenclature. completely forgot this wasnt unlocked.
That was a concern about Haswell when it was first introduced, because the first Haswells generated a similar amount of heat to Ivy Bridge, but were having to dissipate it over a smaller surface area due to the die shrink. But it really wasn't all that big of a deal, and Haswell is so mature now that it's basically inconsequential at this point. Haswell may run hotter than Sandy or Ivy, but it's a cool cucumber compared to an AMD FX, which has a lot more surface area, but can easily pull 200 or more watts when heavily overclocked.

Both Intel and AMD seem to have pretty much agreed that unlocked chips will carry a "K" at the end of their name. No K, no unlocked multiplier. The only exception I know of is the Pentium G3258.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

What programs do you use that you cpuld.need 32GB?
None, ATM . . looking toward future or to use a ram drive application so i could use a portion of that as a scratch disk for whatever I'm working on.

·
waifu for lifu
11,576 Posts
If this is a work pc, i would go with a low end i5 build. I have one my self and its very efficient. Get a mobo under $100 and you should be fine. Its for work, so no oc'in and youu'll save a lot of money.

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
I 2nd what others are saying...

Move to the 4790k at least. There is no reason to save a few bucks here for a much slower CPU that can't be OC'ed.

32 gb of ram is overkill, but, 16 gb isn't really enough to get down and dirty with RamDisk and the such and you'll wish you had more. If you really think you can find a use for it then by all means go for it. Just remember that even at 16gb you won't be using most of your ram without making it happen.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

I 2nd what others are saying...

Move to the 4790k at least. There is no reason to save a few bucks here for a much slower CPU that can't be OC'ed.

32 gb of ram is overkill, but, 16 gb isn't really enough to get down and dirty with RamDisk and the such and you'll wish you had more. If you really think you can find a use for it then by all means go for it. Just remember that even at 16gb you won't be using most of your ram without making it happen.
I second the 4790K. It has a higher clock speed, and IF you want to resell it the value will be higher. And its only 25 bucks more.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNEBTD View Post

None, ATM . . looking toward future or to use a ram drive application so i could use a portion of that as a scratch disk for whatever I'm working on.
what about using SSD as caching disk?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts