Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I decided I would install my Arctic Cooling Silencer 3 on my 9800 Pro 256mb. I know that there have been incompatibility problems with this particular one but when I was installing it everything lined up perfectly.

I used all of the provided silicone paste included on the 8 RAM modules, and used AS5 on the core (which I cleaned well prior). So when I hooked everything up and started comp it looked fine and Windows loaded properly, but when I ran ATI Tool's "Scan for Artifacts" it found several thousand.

Here's something else. When I downclocked the memory low enough, the artifacts pretty much stopped.

Please give me your input i think I'm going to go in my bed and cry now.

Im keeping the tears back.......

A thanks to you all for every one of my artifacts....
-Nik

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by |talian $tallion

Are you sure you didnt put too much thermal paste on...

What are the temps on the video card?

The instructions say a "thick layer on the RAMs" and that's what I did. The temps were fine but that doesn't mean one or two of the ram modules are getting too hot since the heat sensor is only one tiny diode. Sigh.....

I think I'm gonno take the cooler off and just make sure everthing was making contact with the cooler. Would it be ok to put AS5 on the ram instead of the provided Silicone paste?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
It would be best to put on as5 instead of the provided paste, but dont put much just put a thin thin layer of it on there or else it will over heat. For the die put about the size of a bb, for the ram put an amoun about the size of a pea or smaller (i would say a bit smaller).

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Niklas

The instructions say a "thick layer on the RAMs" and that's what I did. The temps were fine but that doesn't mean one or two of the ram modules are getting too hot since the heat sensor is only one tiny diode. Sigh.....

I think I'm gonno take the cooler off and just make sure everthing was making contact with the cooler. Would it be ok to put AS5 on the ram instead of the provided Silicone paste?

Thanks.

I put AS5 on my ram and it still works.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
yes as5 will be much better than the crap they gave you, and its the die on the cooler smooth? like mirror finish smoot? if not go get some 400,600,1000 grit sand paper for like 5$ at a hardware store and do a quick lapping of it... this will help it seat and lower temps some..

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I would be cautious on lapping the GPU because there are some nekkid transistors on the core. Lapping the core takes time and care, dont just start sanding.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie36

I put AS5 on my ram and it still works.

I'm still a bit uncertain because the instructions make it seem like you should be putting enough to really sandwich the ram and the cooler together. The provided stuff looks like fluff lol. I'm worried that if I apply a "thin" layer of AS5 to the ram the heatsink won't even make contact with it.

Also, how tight should I tighen the nuts? It says "until the clip is bent straight" but it was already "staight" right outta the package.

When I tried loosening everything I think the ram (or some of it) lost contact with the heat sink and during the Windows load screen there was errors all over it and then it just crashed so I did a forced off by holding button for 5 secs.

I'm gonno go inspect the connections and maybe apply AS5, I'm all outta the fluff.

Thanks guys,

Nik

BTW im using a PIII right now not my artifacting rig

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Some vid cards have different hieghts to the gpu/ram. You may need a thick layer on the ram and a thin layer on the gpu. Some cards even require a thermal pad to make up the space between the cooler and the ram.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I took off the Cooler and cleaned with clean boxers then put on AS5. It's still artifacting... When I lower the ram speed enough it stops, does that mean my ram is overheating? I have to lower it from stock 340 mhz to like 160 for it to stop.

When I put the white silicon stuff on before I spilled a bit around a few of the ram modules and clean it up as best I could. Could the remainence of the paste be causing problems?

How bout burn in? If I wait could the artifacts disappear cause the AS5 begins working better?

Thanks

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm now I only need to reduce ram from 340 -->>300 mhz in order for artifacts to stop. I wonder if this will eventually get better as it already has since i used to get artifacts at around 150 mhz. I betcha it's just one module that has poor contact. Darn i wish i had bought thermal pads. O well.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
I had a ver similar problem to yous recently. I have the ATI silencer 4 (basically same thing) and one day after having it for a year or so I started getting artifacts. So I took everything apart and put fresh AS5 on the GPU and memory but the artifacts were still there. After running it underclocked for about a month now it's back to the old clocks without a problem! I don't know what the dealeo is. I was considering removing that funkey memory back plate and using ram sinks for guranteed contact but it ended up fixing itself so I'll just do that if problems crop up again.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie36

I had a ver similar problem to yous recently. I have the ATI silencer 4 (basically same thing) and one day after having it for a year or so I started getting artifacts. So I took everything apart and put fresh AS5 on the GPU and memory but the artifacts were still there. After running it underclocked for about a month now it's back to the old clocks without a problem! I don't know what the dealeo is. I was considering removing that funkey memory back plate and using ram sinks for guranteed contact but it ended up fixing itself so I'll just do that if problems crop up again.

Thanks for your comment. I'm running my mem underclocked (350--->>300 mem) and I don't wanna mess anymore w/ my card so I'm just gonna leave it and see if the artifacts go away. If they don't maybe I'll consider buying thermal pads to sandwich between the cooler and the ram modules.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts