Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to both overclocking and overclock.net.

I need help with my E7400 overclock. I am stuck at 3.6ghz(350x10.5)
I have spent the past two weeks with google trying to find a solution and I am getting frustrated. Here is my problem:

I want to go faster but if I up my fsb to more than 350 but no more than 360 it will start to boot then mess up when Grub starts to load. It just starts giving my a bunch of crap on the screen then goes into Kernel panic. If I go above 360 fsb it will not boot at all with 10.5 multi. It will boot at 400x8 but is not stable. My goal is to get to 4ghz can someone please help me get there.

Also I feel like my vcore(1.37500 in bios 1.35 idle from sensors-applet 1.36 load from sensors-applet) is awfully high compared to other people I have seen on here. If I can't get faster I would at least like to find a way to lower my vcore.

I hope this post isn't too noob but I am a noob so forgive me if it is.

Here are my BIOS settings:

CPU Ratio 10.5
FSB 350
PCIE 100
FSB Strap to NB auto
Dram freq auto
Dram Timing auto
5-5-5-15-3-54-6-3
8-3-5-4-6-4-7
14-5-1-6-6
Dram static read Disabled
Dram Read training Disabled
Mem Oc Charger Auto
AI Clock Twister Auto
AI Transaction Booster Auto
CPu Voltage 1.375
Cpu Gtl ref auto
Cpu PLL volts auto
FSB term volts 1.14
dram volts auto
NB volts 1.18
SB volts auto
PCIE sata volts auto
Load Line Calibration enabled
cpu spread spec disabled
pcie spread spec disabled
cpu clock skew auto
nb clock skew auto
cpu margin enhance optimize

C1E support disabled
max CPUID Value disabled
CPU TM funct Disabled
Execute Disable Bit Enabled

· Registered
2,048 Posts
do you have your memory divider set so that it doesn't run over stock speed? I know that's a simple thing and you probably did, but I just have to ask.

4.0 will be very difficult to reach for you. Those e7400's normally don't get that high without an insane vcore. As for the vcore you have going to it, yes, that's as high as you should go.

and I noticed you are running stock cooling??? is that the case? if so, you are maxing out the temps on that thing.

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: memory divider

I am below stock speed on my memory.

If I can't get all the way to 4.0 I want to get as close as I can. I have seen several people that where running 4.0 with less vcore than me. That is what I don't understand. Why do I have to make my vcore so high. Have I missed a setting somewhere else that is making me do this?

I am on stock cooling until my zalman gets here. I am not stressing the pc too bad until then. Right now it runs 33 33 at idle and gets into the high 60's when running cpuburn-in. I am just trying to do some of the work now before my zalman gets here and I can start really testing it.

· Registered
2,048 Posts
what is the VID of your chip? if it's a high VID, you will probably have to pump more voltage to it for less performance versus a comparable e7400 with a low VID.

As you can see, I have an e8400 and I can't reach 4.0 because of the rediculous vcore it requires to get there. I'm at 1.36v and can't get a mhz above what I have in my sig without linpack errors. My VID is 1.225v

3.7 is usually what the 7400's will do.

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure how to find out what the VID of my chip is. Please tell me how and I will post it.

· Registered
2,048 Posts
oh, and you might want to try dropping your cpu multi from 10.5 to 10 and raising your fsb more. That will make your rig feel more responsive. Don't forget to change your ram divider accordingly though, and you might need to bump your nb voltage a notch or two. It will introduce more heat on the cpu though, so if you are on stock cooling like you say in your sig, you may not want to do that just yet.

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am running ubuntu 8.10 linux I will have to google how to find it in linux.

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I googled how to read VID in linux and came up blank. Does anyone know how to do this?

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No luck there. unless it is some how coded in the #s on the tag. It says:
Prod Code Bx80571E7400 MM# 900516 FPO/Batch # 3845A315 ver # E53246-001
pack date 01/22/09

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks minu94 i will try this tonight and see what happens.

my chipset is p45 on a p5q

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.