Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now I know this being an overclocking site, I probably am posting blasphemy but here goes nothing...

Anyone by chance have building laptop experience? I want to build one (mostly on hopes it would be cheaper than buying one) and good places to buy parts... any help reps for good answers.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I have always wanted to BUILD my own laptop, but never knew where to buy things, because they are not on Newegg. You might have to go to the source, work at dell*shudder* for a while and steal some parts.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSmiley

Ok, now I know this being an overclocking site, I probably am posting blasphemy but here goes nothing...

Anyone by chance have building laptop experience? I want to build one (mostly on hopes it would be cheaper than buying one) and good places to buy parts... any help reps for good answers.

Laptops are truly propriatary, most limit you to only being able to upgrade the RAM, most everything is built into the mobo which only fits certain cases, the best bet is to just buy one.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well see I thought that at first, but then I was looking at ebay and apparently it's quite common to build them... and I was thinking about peiceing apart an old laptop and fixing it up to see how it works... I don't know, I want to build my own.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

well see I thought that at first, but then I was looking at ebay and apparently it's quite common to build them... and I was thinking about peiceing apart an old laptop and fixing it up to see how it works... I don't know, I want to build my own.

It should be about the same as building a desktop, but you really have to relly on form factors for the laptop becaise there are no part standards.

Start with the mobo and case, then check form factors for the other parts.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know I can buy the cpu's
(hince mobile cpu's you can buy from new egg, and yes those are standard cpu's, I've upgraded my girlfriends cpu from an athlon mobile 1700+ ? to a 2500+) I need to know where to get the mobo's and the ram can be found on newegg same with hd and the rest is, yes built on. The only thing is the case HAS to fit the mobo. So I have to buy the same case and mobo from the same company, which means some big name brand like compaq.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

I know I can buy the cpu's
(hince mobile cpu's you can buy from new egg, and yes those are standard cpu's, I've upgraded my girlfriends cpu from an athlon mobile 1700+ ? to a 2500+) I need to know where to get the mobo's and the ram can be found on newegg same with hd and the rest is, yes built on. The only thing is the case HAS to fit the mobo. So I have to buy the same case and mobo from the same company, which means some big name brand like compaq.

Score,
I found a laptop building parts store for you
http://auctions.searchmarketing.com/...--31530-1.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well if you want to build a laptop for the sake of having one you wont be able to overclock it.(unless you like killing the processor all the time.) IT"S REALLY IMPORTANT TO BUY A MOTHERBOARD THAT WILL UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR PARTS AND HOW THEY WORK..For example I have a Compaq computer and the motherboard crashed big time, but it was still under warranty. HP put in their own motherboard and now the thing runs so slow that it is unbelievable..So the motherboard is the most important thing. Somehow those manufacturers don't want you to screw with their stuff. All of their boards are OEM so that's why it's hard to build something..Just make sure the FSB of the board is compatible with what you will put in. Buy one that will use your processor and FSB to their capable frequencies...Other than that buy an older laptop where somebody fried everything and you will save a bit on the screen (which will be the most expensive thing you will have to buy) Sometimes you can find one for about 50 or 75 bucks so that is a good deal (you can remodel the case to make your motherboard and other stuff fit in. The older ones have a lot of room so you can stick a lot of cool stuff in (like a better cooling system) and have a really cool laptop.The factory ones suck because they make them as cheap as they can get. Often the MOBO sucks and you really have a crappier computer than you thing you do. Mine has an Athlon 2800 but the MOBO runs only up to a speed of 1.4Ghz and FSB133 so what's the point of having the 2800 in the first place? Understand what Compaq did???(I don't..) Hope this helps you out somewhat..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts