Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so before getting my new computer i sold my old computer to this dude at work who i saw had a pretty damn bad computer that ran cod4 30-40fps avg. like the computer was bad. this was a good dual purpose sell because not only would i make some money but i would really be helping this guy out.

i sold this to him for $500:

E8500 @ 3.6ghz
HD 4870
6GB ddr2 ram
seagate 320gb 7.2krpm
X-fi titanium soundcard
some dvd/cd burner
corsair 750w psu
antec 900
x38 mobo

and i even threw in a 19'' widescreen LCD. i was pretty generous.

i swear its been 3 weeks and he hasnt even installed any games on it yet or used it. im just wondering *** because it seems his hobby is primarily playing pc games. As far as i know he plays mostly Fallout3 and Mw2.

i mean i know that i should probably just be happy that someone bought my computer off me but i reaLLLY want to see him actually use the somewhat decent computer that he know has.

I havent really said much other than a few inquiries of 'you TRY it yet?' and telling him 'you will be happy.'

idk i kind of think the guy might be kind of clueless or deluded or something but im not sure.

A couple days ago he was talking to me about how someone else at work has 'the ULTIMate gaming RiG' and i ask about the components and i hear of:

an invidia 8600gt, an AMD Phenom 2.4ghz quad core cpu, 4gb ram and a similar hard drive, im not sure of the other stuff

tonight i mentioned that the computer he bought off me is probably faster and better for gaming than the afformentioned ultimate gaming rig he talked about, but he doesnt seem to beleive me.

im simply looking for some comments and or opinions here, im trying to get him to beleive me.

from the information that you see here, how would you compare the 2 computers for playing games?

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Are you serious? That intel rig with the 4870 will stomp that old AMD rig in to the dirt. Especially since it's using a Phenom and not a PhenomII. The first phenom's were barely better than 939 rigs.

Also, if you had to compare the video cards, tell him that it would take probably 4 of those 8600's to equal the performance of that 4870. That might be a slight exaggeration, but it's not too far off.

You old rig will run circles around that other machine.

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
It's not even close.

4x 8600gt would get upto the GTS250 level (assuming quadSLI works on these cards, and scaling is perfect, which it is not)... and the HD4870 is on the GTX260 level (one big step above the GTS250).

It may be an uLtIMAtE GamInG Pc, but not at anything above 1280x1024

·
Banned
1,545 Posts
Crushed, Without competition. Getting him to watch videos and reading reviews on performance differences should help determine if he's a idiot or not. (sorry
)

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ablearcher View Post
It's not even close.

4x 8600gt would get upto the GTS250 level (assuming quadSLI works on these cards, and scaling is perfect, which it is not)... and the HD4870 is on the GTX260 level (one big step above the GTS250).

It may be an uLtIMAtE GamInG Pc, but not at anything above 1280x1024

More like 800x600

·
Banned
1,545 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Field
View Post

just curious WHAT IF it was a phenom 2 instead of a regular phenom?

The CPU can only do so much for low performance video cards and plays a really small role in a majority of games, It would still get destroyed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts