Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I didn't mess this up, but I'm trying to install an old "PCI", (not PCIe), video card into a computer with onboard graphics.

First of all, I forgot to uninstall the onboard video drivers before I inserted this card and booted up the PC. I got all kinds of wierd lines all over the screen so I started all over and uninstalled the old drivers, then rebooted and I still get those same problems when I boot up (computer still works fine with the onboard video). So I decided to try it in a different PC, the correct way, and I still get those same artifacts. Could I have ruined the video card by not uninstalling the old drivers first time around??

This card was purchased brand new about a year ago by a friend that has never installed it. He just opened up the box and pulled out the video card to look at it a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
By handling it inappropriately could damage it with static. Doubt that having not uninstalled the drivers would 'ruin' the card. Must be something physical on it thats wrong.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
no, you wouldn't have ruined the card. just uninstall the onboard drivers, put in the new card, install the card drivers and you should be fine.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrker

cgrado: He says he did that onto another rig and had the same problems, but he could not be getting updated drivers for the new card.

no updated drivers would be a bad thing. i've heard of lines before though, i just can't remember the reason.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrado

no, you wouldn't have ruined the card. just uninstall the onboard drivers, put in the new card, install the card drivers and you should be fine.

I tried that on my 2nd PC, no luck. Either it's a bad card or my friend improperly handled it. I'm just glad that "I" didn't ruin it by not installing the drivers correctly the first time around.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Lines...sounds familiar... o yea! I was working with my laptop once while it was running and I crossed a couple wires for the monitor and now I have vertical lines going a third of the way down my screen.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I should rephrase:

Before installing the card, I powered up my 2nd PC, uninstalled the nvidia video drivers, turned off the PC. I then restarted and setup my BIOS so it would read the PCI first for video. I turned it off, inserted the video card, powered it up and immediately got lines everywhere. I let it boot into windows and tried installing the new drivers, but the PC restarted itself. And that's where I'm at right now.

Edit: when I say new drivers I mean the drivers on the CD that came with the card.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Have you tried putting it into a different slot? And are the lines have a pattern or are they just all over like one you would get with a bad OCed vc?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrker

Have you tried putting it into a different slot? And are the lines have a pattern or are they just all over like one you would get with a bad OCed vc?

Yeah, definitely a pattern as in all across the screen symmetrically. Depends on where I'm at in windows, but as I move the mouse the lines change.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
what is the card? i know ati cat. has dropped early revisions of the radeon line. could be that. using drivers that are TOO current

• Rep+
Reactions: kaxx

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Simple problem but you should always check connections before assuming any other problems I guess, but make sure the monitor is correctly pushed in. I know mine turns a greenish tint if I don't.

However I don't think this is the case since you said your rig restarted when you installed the drivers, are you using a cd that came with it or are did you d/l one and installed that?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
also, did you disable the onboard in the bios?
is the PC overclocked at all? the pci bus may not be locked, and thus, pushed too far.

• Rep+

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have rarely seen artifacts like that be the cause of drivers... And if you uninstall all drivers, and you get that kind of thing it's probably the card due to the fact that it's artifacting before and after drivers are loaded. Old drivers can't ruin a card... drivers are just a way for the gfx hardware to communicate with the computer, so the old drivers wouldn't even know how to talk to the new card.

Is it an old PCI card in a new system? The old PCI bus used 5V whereas the new PCI standard is 3.3 volts. I would imagine the system wouldn't just up the bus voltage for an old card... it's probably not even capable.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Llama

I have rarely seen artifacts like that be the cause of drivers... And if you uninstall all drivers, and you get that kind of thing it's probably the card due to the fact that it's artifacting before and after drivers are loaded. Old drivers can't ruin a card... drivers are just a way for the gfx hardware to communicate with the computer, so the old drivers wouldn't even know how to talk to the new card.

Is it an old PCI card in a new system? The old PCI bus used 5V whereas the new PCI standard is 3.3 volts. I would imagine the system wouldn't just up the bus voltage for an old card... it's probably not even capable.

The video card is a XFX Geforce MX 4000, again it has never been used prior to this.

The first PC I tried it in is my friends older Dell. He went to a salesperson and asked for a video card that would work with his system. The salesperson said he installed these cards in many Dell's like his. My "2nd PC" is a socket 754, that's the one I'm having troubles with now (it doesn't work in my friends Dell either)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
if it wont work in any PC, i would guess the card is damaged

• Rep+

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaxx

The video card is a XFX Geforce MX 4000, again it has never been used prior to this.

The first PC I tried it in is my friends older Dell. He went to a salesperson and asked for a video card that would work with his system. The salesperson said he installed these cards in many Dell's like his. My "2nd PC" is a socket 754, that's the one I'm having troubles with now (it doesn't work in my friends Dell either)

I can't find the volt specifications for that card, but I'm guessing that since it's still for sale at a bunch of places, and all of the interfaces just say PCI, that it's probably the right card for the system... unless of course the Dell is so old that it has the 5v slots, but Im' guessing that's a long shot.

I'm going to say it's probably the card. From the info here, it sounds like the best bet. Even if you killed it with static, the company should still RMA it for you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts