Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried installing steam on 3 different OS's and it just will not work, every time I try to install it, it gets stuck at 27%. I am using guides (including the one from this website) on all three of these and nothing is working. I have tried it on Ubuntu 9.10, Kubuntu 9.10, and Fedora 12. Any help/suggestions/guides/anything that will help me to get this working?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SEEBEE View Post
are you using wine? if so have you tried reinstalling it?
Yes, I tried Wine on all three OS's, I also used Winetricks and that Gecko thing along with it...

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
You ought to try building an 'unstable' release and using that rather than the one that comes in the Cannocial repos. Though they're labeled 'unstable' those versions are very stable.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post
You ought to try building an 'unstable' release and using that rather than the one that comes in the Cannocial repos. Though they're labeled 'unstable' those versions are very stable.
Not sure what your saying here....

·
Banned
3,058 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bräd
View Post

Not sure what your saying here....

basically your using a version that isn't guaranteed to work but it works as there is no problem.

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,422 Posts
Hello

It's been a little while but I do recall having the 27% freeze problem. IIRC making sure the Tahoma font works was the 1st step.

I think I first tried the ".exe" version of SteamInstall but was only successful after employing "msiexec" on the "steaminstall.msi"

If you google for the "msiexec" usage for "steaminstall.msi" you will get the true details un-fogged by my memory.

Hope this helps
Jimmy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts