Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just cleaned my computer internals, and added a new hdd. now it wont start. it starts to load the xp logon screen, and the spontaneously restarts. the mobo is set to complete default. FSB, clock multiplier, etc. are all factory default. whats going on.

its a Gigabyte GA-7VRX rev.2.0 mobo with an Athlon xp+ 1800 cpu.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just tried using the install disk. when is say press any key to boot cd or whatever, my keyboard dont work.

• Rep+
Reactions: Robitussin

·
Registered
731 Posts
Reinstall your system.
If windows loads and you see the windows screen, then its not the hard drive.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
How did you clean your internals? What exactly did you do to clean the system, would help shed light on the issue.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibz117
View Post

i just tried using the install disk. when is say press any key to boot cd or whatever, my keyboard dont work.

Ok, this is weird... I thought I was the only one who encountered this problem which was a while back. Basically just keep unplugging your keyboard and replugging and restarting. If that doesn't work keep switching usb ports. Finally I got my keyboard to be recognized, did a fresh fix/format and it worked fine afterwards.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
get the keyboard fixed, (used a ps/2 keyboard). to clean it, i just removed the fans and wiped the dust off with q tips and air duster, and used the air duster on the mobo and ****. and not the can did not spray any moisture i held it upright the whole time.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibz117
View Post

get the keyboard fixed, (used a ps/2 keyboard). to clean it, i just removed the fans and wiped the dust off with q tips and air duster, and used the air duster on the mobo and ****. and not the can did not spray any moisture i held it upright the whole time.

nvm then, I was figuring you did something more drastic such as tear it all apart and clean things individually. I do this on mine and there's nothing wrong with that, just if you did we would need to know. Since that isn't the case, ummm... try re-seating things, you might have nudged something. Though idk, the only thing I could think of is RAM/GFX/Audio/NIC. I'd say check PSU but adding a HDD shouldn't increase W use more than 5W or so, maybe 10W. Hmmm, yeah try to re-seat all the major components cept' CPU. I'd say CPU but then you have to make sure you have thermal compound and I can't tell you how many times I've had to go diggin.... I swear there is always some around but I've been wrong, and that quick run to the store isn't fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts