Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Quarantined in the Sticks
2,408 Posts
5ghz on air or would you go water for the cpu?

·
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye071292 View Post

Easiest way to hit 5GHz is with AMD if thats all you care about. You should be easily able to hit it with this chip, and get a mobo that is good with overclocking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113347
if you don't mind me asking, why are the AMD 8-core 4.7 ghz processors only $244, when a similar processor from intel is over a grand?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow cakes View Post

if you don't mind me asking, why are the AMD 8-core 4.7 ghz processors only $244, when a similar processor from intel is over a grand?
Are you serious? I was about to answer that question till I saw year joined/rep.
thumb.gif

·
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boot318 View Post

Are you serious? I was about to answer that question till I saw year joined/rep.
thumb.gif
Lol i havent been on overclock.net in a year or so, im slowly updating myself with the newest hardware, so do u know the answer to my question please sir? Lol

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Quote:

Lol i havent been on overclock.net in a year or so, im slowly updating myself with the newest hardware, so do u know the answer to my question please sir? Lol
The current line up of AMD CPUs has far lower performance per core than current Intel CPUs. That's it in a nutshell, but hopefully someone can come and give a more indepth explanation.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My psu is dead.

Connected a new psu and the motherboard turned on and off on and off pretty quickly. It showed a number 19 on the actual board itself (there is a small led)

I think the board is dead?

I will be upgrading my cpu, board, ram, buy new psu and cooler.

This will primarily be a gaming machine.

·
...when you walked in
6,439 Posts
Quote:

Don't mean to mess with the OP's thread but figured I'd answer this guys question.

The 4.7GHZ 9590 is the same thing as the 83xx chips, just pre-overclocked for lazy people and as a marketing gimmick.

The reason they are cheaper than Intel's $1k CPU(5960X) is because of performance. 5960X is more than 50% faster in single threaded applications at the same clock(this applies to all Haswell chips except the super low end ones). and the 5960X is more than 100% faster in multi-threaded applications at the same clock.

Price/performance doesn't scale linearly so when you are on a budget AMD's chips are to be considered, but when you want the best performance you turn to Intel. At least currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky View Post

My psu is dead.

Connected a new psu and the motherboard turned on and off on and off pretty quickly. It showed a number 19 on the actual board itself (there is a small led)

I think the board is dead?

I will be upgrading my cpu, board, ram, buy new psu and cooler.

This will primarily be a gaming machine.
I'd say the board is dead if you already tested with a different PSU. Based on the symptoms you are describing it'd either be motherboard or PSU and you can rule out PSU now.

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Ok, what is everyone on about in this thread.

Let me try and straighten things out.

First, I am glad to hear your whole PC is not fried. I would swap out the mobo. Z68 stuff is cheap these days.

As for the upgrade itself, I have a few points I would like to outline.

1: the likelihood of you hitting 5ghz is slim at best. It's not impossible, but it comes down to dumb luck. So give up your expectation of hitting 5ghz and instead wear your lucky socks when you buy your cpu. You will have better luck that way, and that is unfortunately not a joke either.

2: why do you need 5ghz exactly? That seems like an odd request.

3: for a 1K upgrade, why do you not ditch the 5ghz idea all together and just go with a 6 core cpu that can hit 4.3-4.5 ghz? It has a lower clock speed, but it has more cores.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
If 5GHz is a requirement, you'll have the best luck with AMD. If Intel is a requirement, then you'll have the best luck with a 2500k/Sandy Bridge CPU.

A stable 5GHz Haswell CPU is probably in the top 1-5%. Even most 4790Ks hit a hard frequency wall around ~4.7GHz. You'd likely have to find someone to buy a binned processor from, or play the silicon lottery quite a few times.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I'm also curious as to why the the cpu @5ghz is so important? Wish my cpu hit 5ghz.. Had it up to 4.9ghz with enough stability for a CPUZ screenie..
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Here's a website from an ebay seller, the best 4790k they have does 4.9 at 1.32V. You might be able to get 5.0 out of it if you pumped up the volts.

http://siliconlottery.com/collections/frontpage/products/4790k49g?variant=1016302999

If gaming is all you do then the 4690k/4790k is great, but X99 and a 5820k are not too far away. You can get 6 cores around 4.5GHz. Slightly less single threaded performance, but 50% more cores!

·
Registered
632 Posts
You should go with X99 this way you will be future proof. You won't hit 5GHz with 5820K but even 4GHz on that chip is overkill.
Since you already have a GTX 980, I put together main components in your price range. This would be a monster with GTX 980.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7j8GHx

i7-5820K @ 3.3GHz - $370
CM Seidon 120M - $65
ASRock X99 Extreme4 - $213
16GB (4X4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws Series (DDR4) @ 2400 - $251
Corsair HX650 - $97
Total: $996

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2yb3dC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2yb3dC/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($369.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 93.3 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($59.90 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($212.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1037.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-11 08:50 EST-0500

1 - 18 of 18 Posts