Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My brother found this deal on slickdeals.net

http://slickdeals.net/f/8691215-apple-macbook-air-2015-i5-5250u-13-3-1440x900-128gb-ssd-4gb-lpddr3-hd-6000-749-99-free-shipping-bestbuy-com?src=SiteSearch

With a 50 dollar EDU Coupon it comes out to 699 with free shipping.

Also he has 110 dollars in AMEX points that he can use towards the purchase. In total it comes out to 660 with tax and shipping.

Do you think this is a great buy? The problems I see are no retina display, 128 GB SSD (would that be enough) and 4GB RAM ( will future OS X updates need more than 4GB?)

He is a mac fan, and got his mac book pro stolen, so is in need of a new laptop!

Any insight on this deal? Would you rather spend 200 dollars more and get the 8GB since Apple solders the ram to the motherboard now.

Thanks much!

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
128GB isn't a lot of space... Also, 4GB of ram is usually more than plenty for most people. I don't see future OSes needing more than 4GB honestly. The only time you need more is if you do some intesive programs or have a large number open. You can upgrade the drive, however, they are not cheap...

EDIT: Retina is not really needed unless you do a lot of photo editing or need some kind of color accuracy. If this is just for school, it is perfect.

BTW, you can still get the non-retina 13 MBP from Apple for 1099. You can also get some really awesome deals on Ebay for used systems.

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
Not bad really. Though the new MacBook Airs that are out now come automatically with 8GB of ram. Apple just recently released these about 4-5 days ago.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.