Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a bit of disarray right now, I was stress testing my GTX 460's and all of a sudden my computer made a loud pop noise and completely powered down and a burning smell started to fill the air. I quickly unplugged the power cord and removed the sidepanel and right as I was setting it down, the computer powered back on.

It came back to windows but upon allowing MSI afterburner to open (and i assume reapply my clocks and voltages) the screen goes black. If I dont allow AB to open, the computer seems to work fine...

When the tower popped, I remember I was only stress testing one of my cards at a higher than normal clock (900/1800/2100) but usual voltage (1.15v)and it was at about 85 C which I figured was high but not critically so. So in summation....

AHHHH *** Happened?

·
Registered
592 Posts
try and see if it came from your mobo or gfx card. look for a burnt mark on either.

·
Registered
482 Posts
This can be a GPU or PSU problem since you were stress testing GPU. less chance mobo.

I dont think your Corsair can be to much stressed by a GTS460 alone, but its still possible.

You see any VISUAL problem on the GTX460 itself ?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well any game causes the 2 cards in SLI to crash at factory clocks/voltage, im testing the 1st one by itself now.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
I had something similiar happen to me. But the computer wouldnt even try to turn on. It was the PSU. Since it came back on, It might be the graphics card. Unless it only fried one rail of the PSU, but not sure if its possible or probable.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
This is what happened when I first installed my 9800gtx+ in my last system. It had some no-name 500w power supply that came with the case. The power supply blew up... when we took it apart, it looked like it was filled with cocaine.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it looks like it was the primary gfx card i was testing, the other card seems to perform fine and the whole system is stable in prime95. For now it seems it is just a pop gfx card so lets hope the rest of the system is ok... time to RMA

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Droogie
View Post

This is what happened when I first installed my 9800gtx+ in my last system. It had some no-name 500w power supply that came with the case. The power supply blew up... when we took it apart, it looked like it was filled with cocaine.

Pics or it didn't happen

Quote:

Originally Posted by galil3o
View Post

Well it looks like it was the primary gfx card i was testing, the other card seems to perform fine and the whole system is stable in prime95. For now it seems it is just a pop gfx card so lets hope the rest of the system is ok... time to RMA

Good luck with the RAM. Those ASUS's were supposed to be good OC'ers,, wonder what happened.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by emc_2
View Post

Pics or it didn't happen

Was over 2 years ago. Wish I had taken pics. That PSU became target practice at the shooting range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts