Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation. I have this desktop which is about 6 years old and had it all through university. It was great at the time and could run, farcry, CS source and a bunch of games at high quality. Here are the basic specs of the original system

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Ram: 2 gigs
Graphics: ATI radeon 800XL AGP 256mb
HD: 150gb

A few months ago, my video card died, so I decided to go on newegg and buy a new one. My mentality was that if my original card cost me $250 6 years ago, i should be able to get something just as good or better for $75. I decided to go with the

EVGA GeForce 6200 256DDR2.

The card came I popped it in and once all the drivers were installed i booted up CS source and it was unplayable. I had to turn all the settings down to low/medium to get the fps up. What gives? Shouldn't the GeForce be able to handle the same types of games as my original radeon? I'm not looking to build/buy a new system I just wanted to replace the video card. Can anyone suggest a better card for under $100?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input. I must really need a new computer because I think my mobo is currently on the fritz. Only problem is that I dont have too much money to put into a new computer. Could I just replace the mobo and graphics card? The most I could afford would be like $300. Anyone have any suggestions?

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm Canadian so i don't know about the free shipping. It sounds tempting for 300 but I guess i just gotta figure out my priorities. Do I really need a new desktop? I got a brand new MBP, ps3 and xbox 360, but there is still something to be said about having a desktop. Much more comfortable to spend more time on a desktop keyboard then a macbook keyboard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.