Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so basically i got the 2500 barton. and i want to get it overclocked to its highest potiential. i put the FSB up 20 and it wont boot windows. ***. please help. i have and MSI mobo and onyl PC3200 256 ram. (lol dont be hating on the lack of ram)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
First of all i have a few questions..

IS your AGP/PCI bus locked at 33/66?
if they are then i would recoment starting from your Default Bus speed and working your way up, MOving to the max that your ram can handle most likely wont be your max that your cpu can handle.

if you cant lock your AGP/PCI bus then you may only realize a 15 to 20 mhz increase on your FSB

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD_Noblecon

ok so basically i got the 2500 barton. and i want to get it overclocked to its highest potiential. i put the FSB up 20 and it wont boot windows. ***. please help. i have and MSI mobo and onyl PC3200 256 ram. (lol dont be hating on the lack of ram)

Thanks

By the way you are saying that it sounds like you upped the fsb by 20 the first time and it wont boot? Correct? In order to get it to boot clear the CMOS and then it should restart. Then slowly up the fsb by like 3 at a time. You could possibly up the vcore on the cpu a little; could be the reason why it is not booting into windows for the sake it is unstable as well as the ram being low on vdimm and needs to be upped as well. But i am not a very inteligent amd person so if i am wrong a amd pro should be able to help you out more.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, well i started at 166 (default) and i uped it by 10, restarted. went into windows. watched the temps. went back into bios uped it anouther 10. wouldnt boot to windows. so. lol as you all can probly tell im fairly new, ive been reading alot. also, one question, when i uped the fsp, the cpu tempurature went down to about 45*C.......and when its at 166 its around 50*C. Thanks for your help so far tho.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
i usually only increase in incremints of 2 on a intel CPU wich tend to ge thigher clockrates , i would recomend moving a 1mhz at a time.. and watch your temps, and once you hit your first speedbump up your VCORE a little bit, then restart and check your temps, then proceed untill either your CPU maxes out or your MEMORy.. and you can up your VDimm to get a little more MHZ out of your memory.. i got to run so sorry for the short answer

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
both those temps were at idle. also im not sure bout what the agp/pci are locked at, im looking into that though. i had to go out so i didnt have time, but ill find out for you.

Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD_Noblecon

both those temps were at idle. also im not sure bout what the agp/pci are locked at, im looking into that though. i had to go out so i didnt have time, but ill find out for you.

Thanks

the way you are increasing the FSB is way to fast in my opinion. Take it slower and see where it stops booting. It is obviously in between the last 10 FSB increments so try another three from 176 and I bet you can only get to like 183 and after that it may not boot but if it does then try it by one and see what you can get. The temps seem to be a bit high at 50C so i would invest in a better heat sync because at load your looking at 54/55C at best. I dont think your board has AGP/pci locks so be careful with the FSB increase you may corrupt, or fry some PCI cards if you go to high....if you have any in that is. Just take it slow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, so i hit my first speedbump. at 184...could be 183 though. ive been going up by 2 mhz at a time, then seeing if it boots to window, restarted, checked and watched the temps, and then i uped it anouther 2mzh. ok so. im at 183 or 184, and i went to restart and nothing happend. i just got a black screen, which i dont understand becuase i had it at 186 and stuff came up but it didnt boot to windows. so i dont know where to go from here. i have it shut off right now. i herd if you pull out the bios battery for a while it will reset everything...is this accurate? also, your concern about my pci cards, well as of now i dont have any pci cards in, only the vid card(agp). and i agree about the heatsink and fan. im looking into a new one. oh and, i have a neonlite going to, if i up the vcore is it gonna fry the light??? but yea, what should i do about my black screen?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
you should go through your BIOS and lock your agp bus at 66/67. even with no PCI cards it is best to do it now to save doing it later if you add a card.

now you have become unstable up your vcore slightly, jus 1 notch and see if you can boot. if not raise it one more and see then, keeping an eye on your temps.

yes pulling out the battery wil clear everything but it is best to use the CMOS jumper, look through your mobo manual to find it.

now the vcore only affect voltage to the cpu, your light will be fine.

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
The problem your having is because you have VIA chipset on your motherboard. This means that when you increase the FSB, the Mhz of the AGP/PCI increases. This can cause corruption on the HDD, and video problems.

So basically, you can't overclock by the FSB with a via chipset. The only way is by increasing the multiplier. But, I think the multplier is locked on your CPU, so your stuck unless you change the motherboard to one with a nForce chipset (E.G. Abit NF7-S v2)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts