Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
state processor,motherboard,drives,usb,parrell ports,serial ports, monitor, mouse, keyboard, soundcard, speakers,

go for around a 550w, that will do most computers

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Well unless you have a ton of PCI slots filled,fans,drives. It should be fine.. I ran my comp (without SLI) on a 350w because my old PSU fried for 2 weeks and it was stable.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dis4bled

Hello, will a 430w psu handle the 7800gt egva?
Please tell me
Thanks

NO!! Most 7800Gt cards reccomend a 450 watt psu at the very least. So you will be pushing it.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Recommend doesnt mean he cant run it, My friend runs his comp that recommends 450W on a 300W PSU, with no problems.

If the PSU is a good PSU then it should work, if its a cheap one (under 50$) then It probably wont.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
yes, it will depend heavily on what the rest of the system is... ie, mobo, cpu, other add in cards, number of optical drives, fans, hard drives etc. it will also heavily depend on the make/model of the psu.
A high quality psu should be able to handle it, but if it is cheap then I'd doubt it. Also, the number of amps on the 12v rail will determine a lot as well.

For example my bro has this rig:
Celeron D 2.66Ghz
2x512 Corsair PC3200C2PT
1 DVD drive
6600GT
1 floppy
1 hd
5x LED case fans
420w psu.

now, you might be thinking no problem... just as I did, until he sent me his rig to fix it... then i took a closer look at his psu. it's a no name brand 420w w/ only 18a on the 12v rail. most of it's power is in the 3.3v and 5v rails. Also, his psu is only native 20pin ATX and his mobo is 24pin. So when all that is taken into consideration I highly reccomended to him that he purchase a new psu.

I hope this explains well enough that to fully answer your question we need more information. However, even with more information all we can give you for an answer is 1) that most-likely will not work 2) you definately need a new psu or 3) that should work.
I would say you should get a new psu... but you may be alright w/ what you have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts