Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys . Due to some financial problems in my family , i had to sell as much as i could from my sig rig . I managed to sell my 480 , my cpu, ram and the mobo . Anyway , now i have to use my old rig . which is dual core e5400 oc'd to 3.28 ghz an asus p5kps al-se 3gb ddr2 and 9800gt 1gb. Now i have some money again .the thing is . i could buy a gtx480 and a mb that would let me use the 480 as primary card and the 9800gt for physx . but wouldld't there be a bottleneck?

I could also get a ph2 925 ,the crosshair 4 and here's another problem .. could i sli 3 9800gt 's on it ?

Please answer and feel free to add any sugestions .

thanx .

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by madalin View Post
Hey guys . Due to some financial problems in my family , i had to sell as much as i could from my sig rig . I managed to sell my 480 , my cpu, ram and the mobo . Anyway , now i have to use my old rig . which is dual core e5400 oc'd to 3.28 ghz an asus p5kps al-se 3gb ddr2 and 9800gt 1gb. Now i have some money again .the thing is . i could buy a gtx480 and a mb that would let me use the 480 as primary card and the 9800gt for physx . but wouldld't there be a bottleneck?

I could also get a ph2 925 ,the crosshair 4 and here's another problem .. could i sli 3 9800gt 's on it ?

Please answer and feel free to add any sugestions .

thanx .

no you cant do tri sli with 9800gt on crosshairIV(890fx chipset) until you flash the bios,which is not at all recommended because it can damage your mobo.
I've seen that you have financial problm,so I wont suggest you phenomII x6,
but rather than getting phenomII x4 925,get a phenomII x6 955,
asus crosshairIV formula is a very good mobo,but you can also try asus crosshairIV extreme(coming soon)/gigabyte ga 890fx a ud7
for the gpu get a gtx480 or wait for ati 6850/6870
hope you like my reply

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
Quote:

yes,thank you . But what about the first version ? would the dual core bottleneck the 480 + 9800gt(physx)?
yes

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Quote:

yes,thank you . But what about the first version ? would the dual core bottleneck the 480 + 9800gt(physx)?
yah,
a dual core cpu will bottleneck a single gtx 480 also

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by M1nUrThr3t View Post
just save up what you have now and do it right all at once.
This...

I read so many threads like this and it makes me wonder why people would spend so much money on a video card when they do not even have money saved up for emergencies.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by M1nUrThr3t
View Post

just save up what you have now and do it right all at once.

So I did . Brand new Core i5 760 , Sparkle GTX480 (the cheapest 480 here in Romania) , 4GB of Corsair xms3 1330 and a p7h55/usb3 . Still saving for a OCZ ssd and 4 more gb of ram .

I also might use the 9800gt for physx but i don't know if it's got any use (except in highly physx depending games like mafia II . I may also sell it here on ocn . Thank you guys and thank you M1nUrThr3t for your advice. I'm much more happy now .

·
Registered
679 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by madalin
View Post

So I did . Brand new Core i5 760 , Sparkle GTX480 (the cheapest 480 here in Romania) , 4GB of Corsair xms3 1330 and a p7h55/usb3 . Still saving for a OCZ ssd and 4 more gb of ram .

I also might use the 9800gt for physx but i don't know if it's got any use (except in highly physx depending games like mafia II . I may also sell it here on ocn . Thank you guys and thank you M1nUrThr3t for your advice. I'm much more happy now .

wow~nice Build

·
Registered
157 Posts
+rep for being a good human being

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
see, now how does that feel.
You only waiting a few more weeks and look at you now. LOL

Nice setup and i do get that we have bills and financial issues, it sucks, but we do still have to treat ourselves

Also its much more satisfying to be able to get things at once than to have to buy each things in time intervals.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by M1nUrThr3t
View Post

see, now how does that feel.
You only waiting a few more weeks and look at you now. LOL

Nice setup and i do get that we have bills and financial issues, it sucks, but we do still have to treat ourselves

Also its much more satisfying to be able to get things at once than to have to buy each things in time intervals.

Yes , you're right . I wouldn't have had to sell my other components if my little brother's surgery wasn't 4 times the money we had for emergencyes . Anyway , i think that when ill get the ram and ssd this will be a better sistem than the other one .
It's allways good to look for other opinnions than do what you're thinking and get a ****ty result . Thanx again

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by madalin
View Post

Thank you .
First one wasn't bad either . But i had to sell the best of it . But , i keep saving up on money , i think the following week ill be able to buy 4 more gb of ram and a SSD . So do you think that using the 9800GT for Physx would worth the extra bit on the electricity bill ?

you only need 4gb of ram
. there are loads of benchmarks out there showing that you only need 3 to 4gb of ram. More ram is only going to make a performance difference if you are doing video editing or something like that, not gaming.

definitely get an ssd

sell the 9800gt b/c you aren't going to get a noticeable performance boost from it imo

1 - 20 of 30 Posts