Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GAH

Just spent all day trying to get it working. I know its a typical problem, and it will be quite hard for you people to help effectivley from your PC chairs, but please please please give me some advice.

The Story & Problem

Since i got my new PC parts in the post, i've been having problems with my 2x512mb Kingston Value RAM. If i set the ratio to 1:1 it used to give me CLC (corruption) errors when installing programs from CD's or from my desktop. So, i set my RAM FSB to 333mhz and my CPU to 200mhz. I also had to have the RAM timings quite loose. Anyway, it seemed to work ok, even if the RAM was faulty (or just uncompatible with my board) - I planned to look into it further when i recieved better cooling in the next few days.

Today however, i started getting CLC errors - even with my ram settings set low. So, i decided to go into the bios, and set my CPU FSB down to 166. Now it should have been running at 1.8ghz (2500xp), its default speed.

I then saved the info, restarted the PC and...nothing. PC wont turn on. Fans spinning, harddrive spinning, but nothing else. Keyboard lights arnt coming on. No beeps.. I've tried resetting the BIOS via jumpers, tried different IDE cables, tried a deffinetly working 256mb stick of PC2700 DDRRAM, removed the CMOS battery (Only for a minute or two, i've heard it needs to be off for hours to make a difference, but since i'd reset it using the jumpers it wouldnt have helped doing it this way anyway...right?)

I have a dip switch on my motherboard which lets me chose between the BIOS automaticaly deciding the FSB, or me setting it myself. If i ever overclocked it too hard to the point that it wouldnt boot, I used to reset the BIOS and flick this switch to "Auto" (which automaticaly set the FSB to 166) Then I set it back to manual again.

I've also tried the monitor on another PC and its working fine.

The only thing i can think is that something has shorted. If the CPU is working, would the fans still spin? Or wouldnt I at least get a beep?

I really dont know, i'm at a loss - I have so so so much college work to be doing this week, and I really need to be doing it on that machine. I could bring it onto this one, but alot of it is video editing and this pc really isnt up to much.

Please give me some advice here, anything at all. I hope i've explained the problem well enough.

Thank you all so much!!!!!!

(Edit: tried a PCI graphics card in this machine, too. No joy.)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a friend running a similar system (slightly slow cpu) on a 300w driven PC and hes having no problems with his, though i suppose it could be.

Its strange though, why would it go from working absolutly fine with no problems at all, and then as soon as i turn CPU FSB down, it not work at all. Is it just coincidence that the PSU happened to go at that moment?

edit: im gunna go test system now with a working 350w powersupply. I know its less than the 380w one, but it deffinetly works because im using it at the moment.

edit edit: ok, just tested it with a 250w one and still nothing, no beeps or anything. I still think i must have blown the CPU up. I am so angry right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts