1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
this is a picture,
4tk8so.jpg

Most of the cables are shoved behind, in the little window on the other side of the case. Are there any other improvements or things I could do?

For some of the fan cables, whenever i try to use something to tie it up to parts of the case (to hide it), it wont reach the window on the other side of the case.

I don't really wish to drill any holes or mod it in anyway.

Seems like the antec 300 is a tricky case to manage cables in.

Thanks!

·
Daniel Symonds
1,160 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I didn't realise it was so tricky until I tried. This is my first attempt at a cable management job. But I've had a feel of the inside and it seems cool, (I can feel the air) just not sure about the flow of the air.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Just an FYI, you can feed the EPS12v power underneath your expansion cards. There's a little cutaway right near the backplate.

6/10, but good for no cable ties.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I thought you forgot to post a second pic showing the case with better cable management - then I realised that first pic is it!

Not to be too rude, but that doesn't look very managed at all. It more looks like you put everything in and connected everything up and then as an afterthought you decided to use a couple twisty ties to bunch a couple cables out the way. That isn't really cable management at all, that is moving a mess of cables to a new spot
tongue.gif

It is hard in a case like the one you are using, but you can still improve dramatically on what you have now with a little pre planning and thought.

As other posted, check out the cable management in some of the cases HERE, you'll see what others have done with similar cases and should get a much better idea of how you can route the cables so it looks good and impedes as minimal amount flow as possible
smile.gif

A few tips:
  1. Mount your HDDs in the lowest slots. This way you don't have the end of your HDD and the power/sata cables sticking out over your mainboard
    wink.gif
  2. You can also mount your HDD's backwars so the cables are hidden inside the odd/hdd rack (see Elfguy's case pictured below)
    smile.gif
  3. Run all cables behind the odd/hdd rack. Run the across the bottom of the case and directly behind the odd/hdd rach, and then back out to the mainboard exactly where they need to connect up. This way you only see the ends of the cables and not messy runs of cable everywhere.
  4. USE ZIP TIES. In cases like yours, you need to zip tie all the cables into place (more like out of the way
    wink.gif
    ). As point above, run cables straight from your PSU across and behind the odd/hdd rack, and zip tie them all together near your PSU and where ever they are visible. One bunched up, zipped togther group of cables looks cleaner then a mess of cables going everywhere
  5. If possible, use sata/power cables that have 90dgree (right angle) connectors on one end (the end that connects to the odd/hdds). This makes it easier to tuck them back behind the odd/hdd racks with minimal amount of cable showing. Also, once connected and routed, zip tie them into place so they don't move
    tongue.gif
  6. Don;t be afraid to cut a couple holes (and use rubber edging or a grommet) to route cables behind the mainboard tray instead of over it. You might not be able to route all the cables that way, but you should be able to at least route the 4p/8p ATX power cable and the side and top fan cables
    smile.gif
    (note: don't go cutting/drilling holes everywhere, that looks just as bad
    tongue.gif
    )
  7. To make it look 10x better, either sleeve your current cables - or use NZXT premium cable sleeved extensions (or similar) for the main cables (ie. 4p/8p ATX cable and the main 24p power cable)
  8. Optional: Paint the inside black - it just looks cleaner
    tongue.gif
With a little time and effort the following are achievable:
Elfguy's 300:
98867d1235414701-ideas-antec-300-mods-img_0698s.jpg

Bitemarks and bloodstains' 300:
126625d1256051864-300-lost-souls-56k-beware-sdc10934.jpg

Tator Tot's 300 (?):
118653d1249429833-mod-ideas-antec-300-img_2711.jpg

coreyL's 300:
hpim8733.jpg

baditude_df from overclockers.com:
img0783mt8.jpg

jrs77 from bit-tech:
332ckrp.jpg

CoolHandL from [H]ocp:
IMG_1973.jpg

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cepheus;11947327
Just an FYI, you can feed the EPS12v power underneath your expansion cards. There's a little cutaway right near the backplate.

6/10, but good for no cable ties.
Agreed, try and sneak that cable under the card.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you have some money you could def benefit from a modular psu they make it quite easy to manage cables in nearly any case from my experience

·
Registered
85 Posts
I work in a packaging plant, and with the economy as it has been, my machines have fallen into such disrepair, I've had to do some work myself.

20 of these babies, and everything looked (gasp) professional!

Will be getting a batch of 'em for my PC-K62 build. Anchors are a thing of personal preference: some swear by them, some see the concept as a money wasting gimmick. In case You haven't thought of these before, add them to Your consideration?

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20352

1 - 18 of 18 Posts