Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you look for memory on a site, it of course gives you a list of specifications. Take this one for example; Manufacturer: Kingston

Speed: DDR2-400(PC2-3200)
Type: 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 3
Support Voltage: 1.8V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

how can u tell if its fast or not? how can u tell the speed(mhz) and what is the band lenght? Is it compatible with my intel system? how can i tell? Will it fit my motherboard?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
DDR400 means the memory runs at an effective clock rate of 400MHz (about normal)
PC3200 means the RAM is capable of moving 3.2GB/s
Latencies are the major determining factor in speed. Timings are often given by numbers like 2.5-3-3-8 and then a specified voltage. The lower those numbers are the better. Like some of the fastest production DDR1 memory is rated for 2-2-2-5 latencies at 2.75 volts, whereas most types of "value" RAM are rated for 3-3-3-8, which is very slow. If that makes sense... Basically, high frequency, higher bandwidth, and low latencies means fast RAM.
There's two types of memory available for most systems today, DDR and DDR-2. LAG775 platforms most often support DDR-2 RAM, other systems run DDR. Your motherboard will tell you which to get.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
...and lastly, AMD thrives more on RAM with tighter timings, while Intel system thrive more on raw speed. Higher FSB=more performance for Intel systems, regardless of timings.

·
Premium Member
5,607 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspire
Hi there, What is the difference between DDR-2 and DDR? Does DDR-2 operate at faster speeds? or is it just the same but different pin?

Thanks

ddr means double data rate.
thus, ddr2 means Double Data Rate X 2.

thats what i think it is, so yes, it does go faster.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Yes DDR-2 transmits data 4 times per clock cycles as opposed to only 2 times per clock cycles on DDR. DDR2 also clocks higher, uses lower voltages, and of cource uses different pin configuartion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts