Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Braindead
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in dire need of some security programs, but i'm not sure what's currently good on the market, or how far I have to go.

I'd be enthralled with love if someone could help advise me as to what to get in the way of;

Anti Virus software
Spyware removal Software
Internet Security Software (possibly the same as AV?)

Thankyou for any help!

·
Registered
727 Posts
my biggest problems used to be viruses and spyware so i tried TONS and Tons of security programs, eventually after reinstalling my OS about 4 times i said screw it and dint get a single security program what so ever and i hav'nt had a single prob with out them and its been close to 5 months with no protection and im doing great

·
Overclocked TI-83
671 Posts
I like Avira for anti-virus. You can get a free version at http://www.free-av.com/ but you do have to deal with ad pop-ups now and then. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is really good, though it doesn't have an active scanning feature. I only run Avira for on-access scanning, though.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
AVG free works very well for me as anti-virus. Ad-aware and Windows defender for spyware.

For maintenance Smart Defrag is free.

All applications are free.

So many and so many opinions. Mine work for me and are free. That is the main advantage of the ones I mentioned.

·
Registered
260 Posts
my personal setup has always been three layered. avg, ad-aware and spybot s&d. all free, have never had anything get through. solid.

·
Registered
408 Posts
1) Avira anti virus (freeware) good as the highest rated payed for protection
2) Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware (Freeware, best two scanners around!)

Comodo firewall & Online Armor firewall (#1 n #2 firewalls and both have a freeware version)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Guys,

Sorry to jump in.. was using AVG Free for the a short period and found it couldn't handle some virus's.. specially was when accessing my computers and clicking one of the drives I was hit with a brouser list and no further (accessed via folders or Run).. found this to be a autorun.inf problem!!!

Is it better to get a combination of the above list that you'll recommending?

I've currently had someone installed ESET NOD35 or something onto my of my machines with KillerKova or something (sorry can't remmeber the names).. which seems to do the same job!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TeenAgeReneGade2316 View Post
my biggest problems used to be viruses and spyware so i tried TONS and Tons of security programs, eventually after reinstalling my OS about 4 times i said screw it and dint get a single security program what so ever and i hav'nt had a single prob with out them and its been close to 5 months with no protection and im doing great
Why you not using protection?

·
Registered
Ti Power
3,709 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JontyB View Post
my personal setup has always been three layered. avg, ad-aware and spybot s&d. all free, have never had anything get through. solid.

I second that. Same apps I use. Very good protection. Plus Avast WHS is setup to update and scan all my PCS automagicly.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JontyB View Post

Quote:

These two guys hit the nail on the head. I'm with this. This is the exact same setup that I have running.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts