Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am trying to build a budget gaming PC. The aim was 400$ but it overshot to 520$. I want it to run today's games on medium to high settings, no need for AA, on WIN7 using ur common 22" LCD display. I am hoping you guys can help me spot unbalances and unnecessary things in my build. here is what i got on my newegg list right now.

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/Pub...umber=12593645

i am trying to strike the correct balance between the GPU and CPU so that no one bottlenecks the other and everything paid for is used
tho the CPU having 2mb L2 cache makes me feel it may hinder the GPU? and especially after finding that if i add 30$ to my GPU, i can get the GTS 250 with 1gb video memory. what do u think about that?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814150439

do u think this is overkill for my processor or will the extra memory really show for 22" lcd display?

The newegg power calculator says that i need 400W for my build. but the GPU requirements says 450W min. i currently picked the 600W as u can see just to be on the safe side.

Another issue is the memory. i picked 4gb because on my current comp i noticed WIN7 uses 35% of the total 4gb i got when idle, tho i know WIN7 would scale back proportionally if i had a total of 2gb instead. but is 4gb too much?

I greatly appreciate ur advice and thanks for ur time.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You might be better off getting a cheap amd build instead...an athlon II x4 is 99$ and the motherboards are pretty cheap too. As for the gpu would a 5750 be too much? It's better than a gts 250 and about the same in price.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Ummm...How about this:

Lian-Li PC-K58W Case

ASUS P7H55-M PRO Motherboard

Thermaltake TRX-650M 650W PSU

Intel Core i3-530 CPU

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
--- $407

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive --- $77

SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB --- $85

Total cost: $569

$49 more then your build. However, the CPU, motherboard, and DDR3 RAM in this build are better. Hyperthreading in your CPU would also futureproof you for next generation games as more and more games are requiring more then 2 threads.

Managed to put in a case too, which your build did not seem to have. Also, the PSU in this build is more then enough to power your rig.

The GPU is also rather solid for moderate level gaming. It has around the same power as the 9800GT, too. But of course, I recommend you find some good deals on a decent GPU here at OCN. Some of the members are cutting pretty good deals nowadays.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldy
View Post

Ummm...How about this:

Lian-Li PC-K58W Case

ASUS P7H55-M PRO Motherboard

Thermaltake TRX-650M 650W PSU

Intel Core i3-530 CPU

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) RAM
--- $407

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive --- $77

SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB --- $85

Total cost: $569

$49 more then your build. However, the CPU, motherboard, and DDR3 RAM in this build are better. Hyperthreading in your CPU would also futureproof you for next generation games as more and more games are requiring more then 2 threads.

Managed to put in a case too, which your build did not seem to have. Also, the PSU in this build is more then enough to power your rig.

The GPU is also rather solid for moderate level gaming. It has around the same power as the 9800GT, too. But of course, I recommend you find some good deals on a decent GPU here at OCN. Some of the members are cutting pretty good deals nowadays.

Baldy, the build you have provided is ideal for his situation. If I were in the OP's shoes this is exactly what I would do. However, I would make 1 small change to the HDD. Instead of getting a WD Cavier Black I would get a Samsung F3 HDD. The F3's are not only cheaper but offer more performance.

• Rep+
Reactions: TrueGrime

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moltar
View Post

Baldy, the build you have provided is ideal for his situation. If I were in the OP's shoes this is exactly what I would do. However, I would make 1 small change to the HDD. Instead of getting a WD Cavier Black I would get a Samsung F3 HDD. The F3's are not only cheaper but offer more performance.

Oh man, I forgot about the F3's. Much cheaper, and slightly better performance.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive --- $55.

This would make the whole build $547.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your very great responses. thanks baldy for making me aware of that special combo. I just wana let you know of my exact situation. I already have a great computer, but in the summer break am going to spend 4 months back home and i will take with me my current computer and this additional computer that i am planning to buy, so that myself and all my relatives back home can have a lan party throughout the summer. but after those 4 months the computer will be used very lightly for gaming. Therefore, am still scratching my head if paying about 550-600 is a logical thing to do lol. I am not too concerned with the system being upgradable as long as its good enough for this year's games. and whats more absurd is that this rig will be used with a 17" screen during the summer lol, only 22" after i leave and then its not gona be used for gaming alot as i said b4. but i still do want it to run all the latest games like l4d, COD, dirt 2, and supreme commander FA which is very CPU demanding. haha whats your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueGrime
View Post

Thank you all for your very great responses. thanks baldy for making me aware of that special combo. I just wana let you know of my exact situation. I already have a great computer, but in the summer break am going to spend 4 months back home and i will take with me my current computer and this additional computer that i am planning to buy, so that myself and all my relatives back home can have a lan party throughout the summer. but after those 4 months the computer will be used very lightly for gaming. Therefore, am still scratching my head if paying about 550-600 is a logical thing to do lol. I am not too concerned with the system being upgradable as long as its good enough for this year's games. and whats more absurd is that this rig will be used with a 17" screen during the summer lol, only 22" after i leave and then its not gona be used for gaming alot as i said b4. but i still do want it to run all the latest games like l4d, COD, dirt 2, and supreme commander FA which is very CPU demanding. haha whats your thoughts on this?

In this case...I'm starting to wonder whether an HTPC would be a good choice for you. Never really had any experience with an HTPC though...

Well, if you don't mind transporting an entire rig, then I say go for this build. Maybe you could even leave it with your relatives for them to use, or something along those lines.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, i redid it again from scratch, trying to squeeze the belt as much as possible while still ensuring it runs everything and all parts have many and good reviews. this is what i came up with:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=14323446

what do ya think?

this is the first time ever i buy an ATI card. will i notice any difference from nvidia cards, does it do everything an nvidia does? and am just wondering if all the parts are compatible? and should i get 4gb instead of 2gb ram?

Thank you

·
OG AMD
8,884 Posts

·
OG AMD
8,884 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueGrime View Post
hey thanks alot am going with it. tho whats ur opinion on 2gb vs 4gb ram? some forums seem to suggest improvements in fps up to 20-50 percent while others not so much.
If you can afford it,get it...only about $30.00 more for the same ram.There wont be much difference except in new games like Crisis,and then your gonna be gpu limited anyway.2Gb is enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts