Overclock.net banner

Which Thermal compound would you prefer?

• Cooler Master CryoFuze Violet

• Noctua NT-H1

• Arctic MX-4

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends, I need to repaste my CPU and GPU. I found the following 3 brands at local shops. Thermal grizzly kryonaut could also be an option but presently they do not have that in stock. I am in kind of hurry. So I can't wait much longer. Therefore, I have narrowed down to 3 options. Which would be the best among the 3 compounds in my case? Please suggest.

Besides, what I have learnt so far that, there is no universally correct application methods for all thermal compounds. For ex: a thicker paste like TG-kryonaut is better applied with spread method. It may not cover the entire surface if we do it with 'Pea' or 'Line' method. So, please let me know the best suited methods for these 3 thermal compounds.

1) Cooler Master CryoFuze Violet
Viscosity: Don't know
Conductivity: 12.6 W/m.K

2) Noctua NT-H1
Viscosity: Don't know
Conductivity: Don't know

3) Arctic MX-4
Viscosity: Not much thicker & easy to spread (as per my best knowledge)
Conductivity: 8.5 W/m.K

Thank you 馃槉

System Configuration: i5 3470/ ASUS P8Z77-V / Vengeance DDR3 4 GB 1600 mHz X 2 / Sapphire HD 7750 1GB GDDR5 / Crucial MX500 250GB SSD / WD Blue 1TB HDD/ LG DVD R/W / SeaSonic S12II-520/ CM Hyper 412s / HAF 912 Combat / DELL IN2030M / APC 1100VA,660W / Case Fan-- 200mmX1, 140mmX1, 120mmX3

Tank destroyer and a god
I used thermal grizzly kryonaut everywhere.

I have some tubes of Noctua paste, and I kept it in case I will need something to replace, but its a decent thermal compound. As for Arctic MX-4 it contains quite coarse grains, i preferred older Arctic Silver 5 over it.

H鈧侽 Aficionado
Never heard of the Cooler Master one. Sounds gimmicky but I could be wrong.

Both Noctua and Arctic have great pastes. I've been using Arctic for a long time and don't foresee changing. I have MX-2 beside me in a 30g tube because the price was too good. Lasts a long time after application.

Ultimately, I'd get what costs cheaper between Noctua and Arctic. Both will perform neck and neck. Go for a min. 10g tube if you can.

I select the method based on the chip I have, not the paste. Not sure what is the "correct" way but that's what has worked with me.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Never heard of the Cooler Master one. Sounds gimmicky but I could be wrong.
It's a newly launched thermal compound.

overclock3d.net: Cooler Master launches their next-generation CryoFuze Violet Thermal Paste

tomshardware.com: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/c...violet-thermal-paste#xenforo-comments-3776883

Both Noctua and Arctic have great pastes.
Do you know the thermal conductivity of Noctua NT-H1?

As for Arctic MX-4 it contains quite coarse grains
Our friend Offler here says- "As for Arctic MX-4 it contains quite coarse grains."

Tank destroyer and a god
It's a newly launched thermal compound.

overclock3d.net: Cooler Master launches their next-generation CryoFuze Violet Thermal Paste

tomshardware.com: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/c...violet-thermal-paste#xenforo-comments-3776883

Our friend Offler here says- "As for Arctic MX-4 it contains quite coarse grains."
This is what I used before Kryonaut. Mainly it was stable in high temp scenarios, both GPUs and CPUs, for over 10 years after application.

• Rep+
Reactions: Slaughtahouse

H鈧侽 Aficionado
Since its new.. and purple... I imagine it's expensive but no opinion on the product. Hopefully it's not overpriced.

No but that should be easily googled. Either way, in real world results, MX4 and H1 are nearly identical. From my experience (MX2, Silver etc.), Arctic lasts a long time and is priced competitively. Also, thermal paste is really meant to be used to fill microscopic gaps in the IHS and cold plate of your heat sink. In comparison to the copper it's being applied to, its basically an insulator. Another way of looking at it... comparing 7,9,14 etc. watts per meter Kelvin doesn't really mean much when copper is at 400 and the air voids are 0... Unless you're extreme benching and every C counts. I prefer usability and durability to raw perf.

That could be true. I don't have enough experience with all pastes. All I can say is that I've used Arctic products and I've never been disappointed. I concur with maltamonk - pricing is the main point here, not specs.

Tank destroyer and a god
That could be true. I don't have enough experience with all pastes. All I can say is that I've used Arctic products and I've never been disappointed. I concur with maltamonk - pricing is the main point here, not specs.
Arctic MX-4 definitely performs well, but at some time I removed IHS or tried it on GPU chip. I was really not happy about putting it on bare chip, since the paste could be used as a sandpaper.

• Sad
Reactions: Slaughtahouse
1 - 8 of 8 Posts