Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo, I was cleaning my rad thoroughly for the first time in 2 years and dust and dirt wasn't going away with just water so i picked up a dish brush lying beside and very lightly scrubbed the fins where dirt was stuck. Now I want to bang my head on the edge of my desk. I didn't apply much pressure at all, but the fins are more fragile than I thought. I have 2-3 spots about 2 inches long where I bent the fins. I read that bent fins aren't a big deal as long as airflow isn't too obstructed and the solder points are still fine so I straightened them a bit with a toothpick and the solders seem fine but I won't know until I plug it all in again. From what these pics show, should I be worried?

·
Premium Member
17,348 Posts
Looks fine, fill it up in the sink and see if any water comes out. I've done worse to my rads and they lived.

·
WaterCooler
4,269 Posts
As long as you didn't puncture any of the water channels, should be fine. Bent fins are not a big deal (aside from added air restriction) and it sounds like you already bent them back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you both of you. You confirm what I suspected, just needed to hear it from people more experienced than I. I was pretty confident when I built my loop 2 years ago and didn't have problems. I realize now that its during maintenance that you find all those little details that makes you go paranoid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts