Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gamer
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to add a server to my house, for the purpose of backing up two laptops and to run Plex for media. I figure I would need the ability to transcode 3 streams at most. I would prefer a compact setup, and I'd rather not spend a lot of money, but I won't limit myself. I have been doing some research but I would really like some recommendations from experienced builders
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
901 Posts
So currently I have installed PLEX server on my old college laptop. I installed the server using the Windows version since it was running Windows 10. I haven't tested the load capabilities of it yet, but I would imagine it will handle a 2-3 streams pretty well. Right now I'm trying to figure out what client I want to use for my TV downstairs. If the HDMI port still worked on the laptop I would just install the client also and mount it behind the TV.

Specs:
Intel i5 2.8Ghz
6 GB DDR3 SODIMM
500 GB HDD
Onboard Gigabit NIC
Wireless Capable
Bluetooth Capable

It's nothing impressive and I know I'll need to upgrade my storage space at some point soon. Right now I only have about 160GB in movies and music so it fits.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

So I'm looking to add a server to my house, for the purpose of backing up two laptops and to run Plex for media. I figure I would need the ability to transcode 3 streams at most. I would prefer a compact setup, and I'd rather not spend a lot of money, but I won't limit myself. I have been doing some research but I would really like some recommendations from experienced builders
biggrin.gif
Where are you at on this? Have you decided what you want to build yet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts