Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a better for a new build. The Samsung 850 pro or the plextor m6e m.2 drive? I like the idea of m.2 but I'm not sure how it compares to normal SSD drives. When using the m.2 interface is that an Intel chip set or some third party? I remember how horrible marvel chipsets were when using early gen SATA drives. Both are about the same price. I don't want to have to install any raid stuff, just plug in and go.

·
PC Gamer
1,163 Posts
In real world use you are not going to notice a speed difference in any modern SSD. Considering you can get a 850 for much less per gigabyte and get a free 60 dollar game. I see no reason to get the Plextor. On that note also I see no reason to get a 850 over a 840 or even say a MX100 considering you arnt going to notice a speed difference in anything other than synthetic benchmarks. Just my
2cents.gif

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason I like the M.2 is how it gets rid of the sata cable and no power cable which of course means less clutter and a much cleaner looking PC. But on that note, all m.2 drives I have seen are an ugly green PCB which would look really bad in a system, Maybe the samsung will do just fine...

·
PC Gamer
1,163 Posts
I personally really am having a hard time not buying a M.2 for those exact reasons. I mean a tiny ssd that plugs right into my MB with no cables. I just have found other money sinks into my PC vs a M.2 is the only reason I dont own one ATM.
wink.gif

I just keep adding ssd's started with two 64gb Crucial m'4s, added a 128gb 840 pro, then a 256gb mx100. would be nice to take the clutter out of my build. But im not a cable management junkie.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the 4K read and writes as good as a normal Sata drive or better in general? Are their any down sides to M.2 over Sata?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow one thing I notice on these M.2 drives is the 4K read and writes really suck compared to normal Sata drives. Why is that? Usually 4K read and writes are the most important thing in an SSD. I think I may stick with a normal SSD if that is the case...

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcaljason View Post

If your motherboard supports m2 natively, there's no reason NOT to go Samsung x941
What he said. If you're going to go M.2, you may as well go whole hog and get a Samsung XP941. Just don't expect any after purchase support since they are technically OEM only.

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Since you have the M.2 PCie x2 slot, there is NOTHING that performs as well as the Samsung XP941 - and that includes the Plextor.

That being said, it's not going to be a night and day difference with application/gaming performance compared to a quality SATA 6.0 Gbps 2.5" SSD.

Greg

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What scares me is those very low 4K speeds. They are much much lower than a normal SSD. Will that have an impact on boot times or gaming etc etc. And why are they so low compared to a normal SSD drive?

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Can you list the benchmarks you're afraid of? All of the XP941 vs. 840/850 etc. benchmarks have always shown the XP941 to be favorable.

Greg

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll see if I can find it. On a side note. I did order the Samsung xp941. I wwant to get some kind of thermal tape or heat sink to stick on it to cover that ugly green PCB. I was looking at something like this..

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18988/thr-204/EK_Water_Block_Replacement_Thermal_PAD_B_10mm_-_75x50mm.html?tl=g8c487

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14989/thr-103/Phobya_Thermal_Pad_XT_120mm_x_20mm_x_10mm_-_5Wmk_V-Regs_RAM_Ramplex_Koolance_MIPs_Innovatek_19053.html?tl=g8c487

Would that do the trick? Or a flat small black heat sink maybe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts