Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I I was wondering what is the perfect Powersupply to go wth...

What I am running (will be) is...

4 x 80MM fans (+1x 80MM fan)
--
Thermaltake Polo 735 Heatsink (Thermalright XP-120 w/ Panaflo 120MM fan, Replacing the Polo 735 of course)
--
1 x CD Burner
1 x DVD-ROM (being taken out after DVD burner is bought)
(2 x DVD Burner)
1 x Floppy Drive
--
1x GeForce 4 MX440 Video Card
(1x XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card)

or

(1x eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Video Card)
--
2x IDE Hard Drives
(1x SATA Hard Drive)
--

I have a choice of 6 Power Supplies. But If I can get the lower wattage then I will opt for that.

Lower Wattage Choices:

1. ENERMAX Noisetaker Series 470W - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-446&depa=0
2. Antec 430W - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-908&depa=0
3. OCZ PowerStream 420W - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-150&depa=0

Higher Wattage Choices:

1. ENERMAX Noisetaker 485W - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-457&depa=0
2. Antec 550W - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...103-910&depa=0
3. OCZ PowerStream 520W - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...104-152&depa=0

Im pretty sure that everyone's gonna pick the OCZ's. But What should be my second option? or if the first 3 can even be used with the setup that I will have... I won't be overclocking... THAT MUCH. But I will. maybe +300MHz???. I dunno not that big of a deal. I just want a good budget Powersupply. any of the 6 will do. and if you can suggest one of the first 3 to me, plz do.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
OCZ P.S. 520W...I just went through this nightmare of choosing a PSU. Besides being adjustable & having plenty of power & being rock solid it is also has a 5 year warranty so as long as you don't open it up (and you don't need to beacuse you can adjust it in the back) you will have a performer for that long!

Hope this helps!

Oh, and don't get hooked on modular cables. If you are running a lot of stuff you will need most of them and then it doesn't mean squat.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
1. OCZ Powerstream 520w
2. Enermax 550W
3. Antec True550w

I'm pretty sure you've seen the pic floating around of my rails... they're adjustable and rock solid!!!

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
ocz arent the best PSUs, ive heard of ppl getting problems with them, they are still good though. id go with the enermax or Tagan, id make the tagan my 1st choice personally because of the extreme quality of the psu.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
havent seen any problems with an ocz yet, none... ocz is my first choice... enermax and antec are brands that are just as good... ask xms about tagan, he can show you a different side...

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ket

ocz arent the best PSUs, ive heard of ppl getting problems with them, they are still good though. id go with the enermax or Tagan, id make the tagan my 1st choice personally because of the extreme quality of the psu.

have you seen what happened to xms's tangan?

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
i dont really care what happen to his tagan, i just know since tagan came out ive used them in custom builds and not a single one has given problems and are by far the most stable psu ive used
that and the tagan has been designed and made by the best PSU engineers in the industry

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was also wondering. Theres a OCZ Modstream..
I Like it alot. It costs less, and the main reason I wanted to know what U guys think about this one is because instead of the powerstream, its got a way bigger modding light at the bottom of the PSU.

So. I was wondering if this is good. Because I was going to get the same wattage but for a lower price. Plz Tell.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
I was thinking about getting the modstream as well, mainly cause it looks to have decent power and saves a bit... I just read a promising review of it on www.guru3d.com but everyone else says stay away from them, like theyre bastard children of the powerstream...

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LoL. Yea...
Well I'm pretty convinced from that review that im going to get it. Plz if anyone thinks I shouldn't tell me. I'm buying it in about 3 months so. Ive got time to be convinced.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut
I was thinking about getting the modstream as well, mainly cause it looks to have decent power and saves a bit... I just read a promising review of it on www.guru3d.com but everyone else says stay away from them, like theyre bastard children of the powerstream...

maybe not bastard children but let's just say the big brother Powerstream ate all his vegetables at the dinner table. but dude, on newegg the difference in price between the modstream & powerstream 520w is only $20... dude if you wanna pay $120 for a modstream you should instead get an antec true550 for $110 or an enermax 550w for $120. <--- much better psu for that price. or just save up another $20. my

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
I was actually talking about the 450 watt modstream... looks like a great combination of performance and value

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic
maybe not bastard children but let's just say the big brother Powerstream ate all his vegetables at the dinner table. but dude, on newegg the difference in price between the modstream & powerstream 520w is only $20... dude if you wanna pay $120 for a modstream you should instead get an antec true550 for $110 or an enermax 550w for $120. <--- much better psu for that price. or just save up another $20. my

Yea ur right. Lol. I'm Un-Un-Convinced

So. Im getting the Powerstream. Top of the line +$20 more. = Worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This PSU has been discontinued, but What about the OCZ PowerStream 470W?

They still have a few of them on Froogle lurking around. Is that gonna be enough for my setup??? (first page)

**************NEVERMIND THIS POST. ITEM OUT OF STOCK************

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsource

This PSU has been discontinued, but What about the OCZ PowerStream 470W?

They still have a few of them on Froogle lurking around. Is that gonna be enough for my setup??? (first page)

**************NEVERMIND THIS POST. ITEM OUT OF STOCK************

i ordered mine from these guys for $135 and paid about $10 shipping for the 2-3 day (coming from Canada) the regular 5-7 day shipping was like $7, no sales tax of course seeing how you live in CA like me & newegg.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts