Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My setup is a Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 with a AMD FX-4170 CPU. On GTA IV I'm only getting 30fps (20fps with ENB) on high. Shouldn't I be getting 50-60fps with this setup?

Also: 8GB DDR3 on Windows 7 x64

Thanks
smile.gif

·
Registered
870 Posts
Last time I tried to play that game it ran like crap. I think you'll be fine with that gpu, but if you don't have that cpu oc'd, you might want to do that first then try the game. I could never get it to run very well either, always stuttered.

·
Registered
174 Posts
GTA IV is just very poorly optimized, sadly. I think I'm one of the lucky few who can get the game to run "Great", as in, there's occasional drops to 30-40 but it stays smooth (and by smooth and "most of the time" i mean 60+ 80% of the time
biggrin.gif
) most of the time. Too bad the Cutscenes are a mess on the PC version
rolleyes.gif

·
Legend
901 Posts
I'd guess you should consider yourself lucky you're getting that much fps without oc'ing as GTA IV was never really optimized.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some other odd things:
The resource monitor says that I'm only using ~800MB of my 2GB Vram and the benchmark recognises my card as an nvidia GeForce.......

·
Registered
313 Posts
start by trying an overclock then see what happens its not going to hurt anything. and about that nvidia thing did u used to have an nvidia card installed before? if so maybe you didnt remove the driver

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
that's definitely a CPU bottleneck, back in the days when i upgraded my Phenom II 1055T to a 2600K, i got like a 20FPS increase.

·
Registered
313 Posts
start with the cpu and if nothing gets better then try the gpu but its probably the cpu. dont be concerned with the vram for now if its only using 800mb then thats all it needs i dont think u have a problem there. and the other thing is probably just the benching software it is it a free version or paid? and maybe try uninstalling & reinstalling or updating it if possible

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
did you update the game? if not do it.

also browse the web for your problem.. theres an easy fix for your memproblem.
theres a way to start gta4 with no wrong memrestrictions ..

GL!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Your best bet is to upgrade your CPU. although overclocking can help a little, it wont be very significant (1-5fps increase) unless you can hit something crazy like 7GHZ

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A CPU upgrade isn't in my reach at the moment so I guess I'll just stick to games like crysis 2 which I can run on ultra + DX11 at 30fps then
smile.gif

1 - 19 of 19 Posts