Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm quite sure this has been done before, it may have even been posted. Figuring I didn't want to completely toast my cpu, nor did I want to spend a grip on new supplies, my dumb @$$ decided to try an easier way of dropping my temps, even if only for a few hours. The diagram below shows 4 cups of water in a measuring cup(pyrex) with a little over one standard tray of ice cubes, mixed with 3 tablespoons of table salt.

Step 1: Placed 7 inches of remaining tubing(3/8in.) from the back of my case into the measuring cup.(Had to raise the HydroCool 200 5 inches from the desk top)

Step 2: Waited for 15 minutes as Speedfan showed a 12C drop in idle times. Had to let the temps stabilize to get an accurate measurement.(also, tested previous temps to get a before and after baseline)

Step 3: Ran the OCCT test for 1hr. and 30min.(attached pictures tell the results)

Cheap yes. Easy yes. Been done before? I'm sure, but man did it give me a few ideas... 12C drop at full load, I'm sure of it...

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbzhnsr1

not sure about that, was just the easiest program to get the temps up. Oddly enough, on speedfan, it shows 100 percent on both cores during the testing. Is this correct?

If it says %100 then it should be correct but check cpu usage with "Windows Task Manager"

Good experiment...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Confirmed, OCCT tests both cores simultaneously... I didn't expect any condensation on my water block, due to the low level decrease in temp. Yet, after close inspection, and the surface area involved with the old school swiftech water block, there are some droplets of condensation on the outside surface. Whoops, that would have been ugly...

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Nice Nice...didnt think it would be that effective. Woot!

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Thats a variation on flipping youur external rad into a bucket of ice water, after you take the fan off of course...You really need to conformal around your socket and on the back of your mobo and di-electric grease in your socket...A friend of mine used to do that a lot to get suicide shots....Works good.... EDIT: If you use more ice and rock salt, it seems to make it colder...How or why I dont know it just does...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I've always wanted to try that. My idea was to run some coiled copper tubing through a bucket filled with icewater and salt. I got my idea from an older episode of mythbusters. I always backed off because of the condensation issue.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
You've got to watch out for condensation when doing anything that may take you sub ambient. It's been done before, but nice write up and diagram.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gobygoby
doubtful the tablesalt did anything. Try using sea salt
Took that into consideration, tried epsom as well as a joke. Believe it or not the sea salt only made a 1.75C difference when added to the same amounts of water and ice. Not exactly a controlled experiment though, so you can't really take that as a stable result...

·
Registered
952 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbzhnsr1
Took that into consideration, tried epsom as well as a joke. Believe it or not the sea salt only made a 1.75C difference when added to the same amounts of water and ice. Not exactly a controlled experiment though, so you can't really take that as a stable result...

cool.....well atleast you gave it a shot! nice experiment!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts