Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have installed three Seagate 7200.12 500GB hard drives on my sister's computer and configured them in RAID0. The problem is that I can see no performance gain compared to when there were two hard drives installed in RAID0 in benchmark software like HD Tune or HD Tach.

The motherboard is EVGA 780i with 64K stripe size.

Any suggestion what the problem might be?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci View Post
its fake raid, has to use the cpu for most the work so its not very effective.
7.7% CPU Usage. That's not the problem. What usually is the problem is that those things have a maximum bandwidth. Notice how it is level to 175mb/s up until the very end? When it is not controller limited the bandwidth will be arching downwards.

tl;dl

Integrated controllers. Limited to 175mb/s.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnoz View Post
7.7% CPU Usage. That's not the problem. What usually is the problem is that those things have a maximum bandwidth. Notice how it is level to 175mb/s up until the very end? When it is not controller limited the bandwidth will be arching downwards.

tl;dl

So is there a way to increase this bandwidth?

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnoz View Post

tl;dl

not all integrated controllers, but definitely the 780i.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
yeh, nvidia, got the greatest, but intel is top notch. Of course the very best is an add-in card, but very expensive.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci
View Post

yeh, nvidia, got the greatest, but intel is top notch. Of course the very best is an add-in card, but very expensive.

I'm not going to buy an add-in raid controller. & I think I will use two hard drives in RAID and the third would be for normal archive. Or I might just go with RAID5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.