Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This started out as a desk with an integrated computer but I realized that wouldn't really fit my lifestyle as I travel a lot with my computer, so instead it's a computer desk with a computer module on the side! I've only thus far designed the desk, but the module I think more or less will just be some brackets on the side that the PC will slide on and off of. The case will also be custom made out of 1/2" plywood with lots of finger-joints, everybody loves finger-joints!

Enough text though, pictures time!

Rendering of desk:
render_desk_front_wire.jpg

Monitor arm:
render_monitor_arm_mount_wire.jpg

Leg support one:
render_desk_leg_support_one_wire.jpg

Leg support two:
render_desk_leg_support_two_wire.jpg

Not sure which support design I like better. Or if I'll use one at all. I'm leaning towards the latter though.

Day 1:
I picked up the lumber and started ripping it down to size today. Only cut two pieces though.
IMG_3209_cropped.jpg

And here are the two halves to one of the leg, ripped down so the beveled edges are gone.
IMG_3215_cropped.jpg

Stay tuned for more!

·
Happy Dad
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomclancey;13816210
Leg support one:
render_desk_leg_support_one_wire.jpg
Definitely this one... only because it'll have more support... you never know, you might have a friend lean up against it and boom... down goes it all
eek.gif

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Awesome. I love these kinds of projects. I'll keep watching your progress. Very cool!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow. it looks very good. I am thinking of redo a workstation desk. I bought it and it was pressboard nonsence. the middle crack and brook. I keep the manual and messure the desk. and i am also thinking about building it with 2" to 3 3/4 " plywood. Oak with a dark cherry finish. I'll keep my eye on this blog thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Chief;13820515
Aren't those legs going to be kinda wimpy?
How are they going to be held into the top? Pocket screws, glue, dado?
I'm not really to sure, but I don't think so. Each leg is three separate pieces though. The two halves will be joined with a biscuit joiner and wood glue, which is stronger then you might think, but the top part and bottom will be bolted with some 1/2" x 6" bolts, mounted flush with the top of the leg.

The legs will be mounted with L brackets, four for each leg to the underside of the desk. Haven't picked out a particular style yet, but I'm sure the legs will be fine. It's made from 2x10, so essentially 2x20, some stout material right there.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Double post, but oh well.

Had to side-track today from the project. Shift-knob on my car went out and I didn't want to drop ~40 on a new one- so I made my own!

Old:
IMG_3222_crop.jpg

New:
IMG_3219_crop.jpg

So much more comfortable, and it was only 68 cents!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back with another update!

Mock fitting of the three pieces. I haven't cut the halves to size yet, so they're a bit uneven at the moment.
IMG_3223_cropped.jpg

IMG_3224_cropped.jpg

Now here's my dilemma, the top groove that the desk sits in, not sure how I should go about cutting that accurately. I've been using a router and jig combination for the leg pieces, but this one is so small/short I'm not sure how I should go about cutting it.

I'm considering cutting it and half, finishing it out with a band-saw then reattaching the two pieces with a dowel screw.

Any ideas are welcome though!

·
lol "New to Overclock.net
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomclancey;13823743
Double post, but oh well.

Had to side-track today from the project. Shift-knob on my car went out and I didn't want to drop ~40 on a new one- so I made my own!
IMG_3219_crop.jpg
I can haz teh 240?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Updates!

Went shopping and got all the brackets and bolts I needed.
IMG_3233_cropped.jpg

Here are the tools I've used to complete this thus far; that reciprocating saw was invaluable for cutting those grooves on the desk- as was the router!
IMG_3241_cropped.jpg

About to start cutting the biscuit grooves for the second leg.
IMG_3235_cropped.jpg

About to start gluing! I accidentally cut the 4th groove off on one of the pieces so the biscuit wouldn't fit in. Oh well. Good thing I cut 5 grooves.
IMG_3242_cropped.jpg

First leg glued and clamped.
IMG_3243_cropped.jpg

Both glued and curing over night!
IMG_3244_cropped.jpg

Oh, one more thing. Biscuits!
IMG_3245_cropped.jpg

So yeah, got quite a bit done today! Tomorrow I'm hoping to trim the legs down to the 28" height and then attach those C shaped pieces on top. (That's what the desk will fit into).

Stay tuned for more.
smile.gif

·
Jen-Hsun Huang fanboy
911 Posts
How are you going to finish this project.

You may want to stain and polyurethane your legs before they are attached

You plywood looks decent, cant tell too much from picture, but dont cheap out on it. Get at least 5 layers. More layers means less chances for any warping.

Are you gonna put a hardwood edging around the plywood. Would look great with a nice routered round edge.

Everything looks cut nice. What type of glue did you use?

Only thing I can knock you on is it looks like you used some cheap yellow pine 1x's .

Hardwood cost much more, and is harder to cut and shape, but man, it lasts forever.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts