Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Scientists have already created mini-cyborgs out of living cells and semiconductor materials, but now biological cells can also contain tiny silicon chips. Those silicon chips could become future intracellular sensors that monitor microscopic activities, deliver drugs to target cells or even repair cell structures, according to Nanowerk.

Experiments found that living human cells can ingest or receive injections of silicon chips and continue functioning as usual for the most part. More than 90 percent of chip-containing HeLa cells -- the first immortal human cell line derived from a poor, cancer-stricken woman â€" still survived a week after receiving their silicon loads.

Source

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know, it made me think uncomfortable thoughts about robots.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Hm.. Cool!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I might as well post in this thread before we get posts talking about "Skynet, Government monitoring, conspiracies theories."

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Commancer View Post
I might as well post in this thread before we get posts talking about "Skynet, Government monitoring, conspiracies theories."
You forgot one.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MegaSmiley View Post
I'd hate to find out which 10% of my cells wouldn't survive...

OT: Cool, but what happens to the chip when the cell dies?
Your liver starts to turn into a lump of silicon as it accumulates the chips, and McCoy tells Kirk that he's a doctor, not a bricklayer.

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant View Post
Your liver starts to turn into a lump of silicon as it accumulates the chips, and McCoy tells Kirk that he's a doctor, not a bricklayer.
so much win!

HeLa cells are pretty much immortal, so I wonder what consequences this would have on normal cells? Looks like a good step towards nanites/nanobots nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
^Well, immortal cell line, not individually immortal. The cells never go into senescence.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat
View Post

so much win!

HeLa cells are pretty much immortal, so I wonder what consequences this would have on normal cells? Looks like a good step towards nanites/nanobots nonetheless.

It's a cell line that still has it's telomerase active amongst other mutations to allow it to divide forever. Our 'normal' cells cannot do this and can only divide ~50 times before the cell line dies off as your DNA gets shorter with every replication of your DNA.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
the concept behind Johnny Mnemonic seems to becoming more of a realisation to occur within our own lifetimes... and here is just one more stepping stone towards cyborgs.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Screw cyborgs. This isn't cells mixed with machinery anymore. This is your cells ARE machinery. This is the next step towards the Steam Demons in the Doom novels. They actually GROW the giant guns out of their arms. How awesome would it be to have a body with a gun that could grow ammo? It is like having your own little "idkfa".

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
These cells still aren't going to get us to live longer than 120 years.... Says so in the bible and it's been shown (with 114-117 being the oldest women in Geniss Book of World Records)....

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 25 Posts