pos and cons about folding

502 Views 11 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  gibsonnova74
what advantages and disadvantages do you get by folding
See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Pros: You are helping a good cause.

Cons: Eats up some processing power. On an older computer like mine it is impossible to fold and play newer games.
my electricity bill is like

my room gets very warm.

but for a good cause.
See less See more
what about my power bill
pro's-helping find cures for diseases
cons- increased electricity bills(depending on how much you fold), processor power usage and extra heat
pros....??? get a nice folding rank below your username.

cons....??? drains power & kills components.

See less See more
Pros:

Helping in the research for protein folding/misfolding to assist researchers.
Helps heat my office room....seriously, I keep the heat off in that part of the house!
Computer is on 24/7 so it might as well help!
Competition is fun and addictive.

Cons:

Electricity bill will go up if you do not do anything to offset the folding...saw a $9 increase last month without altering any behaviour.
Some have stated you may take a performance hit while gaming but you could always shut down folding for the period of time you would be doing that.
See less See more
Pros: Helps a good cause, makes good use of an idle computer.

Cons: Justified increase in electricity. I run all of this and my house for under $100/month. Keep in mind the computers are drawing 1800+W 24/7

Quote:

cons....??? drains power & kills components.

[email protected] doesn't kill components. If you have them cooled well, its no more intensive then playing a game.
See less See more
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
Pros, helps scientists learn about proteins and how they fold/misfold. Has implications on the treatment/cure for many diseases/conditions. Most notably sickle-cell, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, mad cow, cancer, Huntington's, cystic fibrosis, osteogenesis imperfecta, alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency, and other aggregation-related diseases.

Cons, not really any as you can determine how and when done. In it's most basic. The [email protected] makes use of unused CPU/GPU clock cycles. So does not reduce your needed performance as only makes use of unused potential. That is the basic. That said people set up to run their systems 24/7 to accomplish more. Many even dedicate old computers to folding only, sometimes using several to many. I believe at some point the latter is called farming.

So on those notes it would take a real cynic to remark about the usage of power as a drawback. By that I mean I think all would agree that the potential for advancement and knowledge far outweighs any increased energy consumption and the effect that footprint leaves on the environment. In other words it is more useful than the way many of us say use our personal autos offering the chance to cure disease while comparatively not leaving as large of environmental footprint.

On a personal note. Sadly many are concerned about the sharing of their systems resources will negatively affect performance. This is not a realistic concern in most cases. It should be considered that unused CPU clocks are wasted clocks.

So overall no downs all ups. As far as concern about wear and tear on their systems. Considering the life cycle of home computers, they become realistically absolute long before foldings wear would affect the systems lifespan.
See less See more
  • Rep+
Pro's: Assisting research in the study of all kinds of disease, that take a toll on mankind which is almost immeasurable.

Con's extra power consumption. Now how much depends on how much you fold. I have two machines going 24/7, 3 video cards and 2 quad cores. My electric bill went up a total of $13. I also made a choice to become the light Nazi. I mean I made sure to turn off any lights in the house which are not being used, I didn't used to do this.

Now electricity cost is something to consider. However, you could make a very small lifestyle change that would impact you overall budget more than the electricity cost does. If you normally grab a cup of coffee at a coffee shop everyday, that's roughly $2 a day or $60 a month. If you only did it every other day you could pay for one 4GPU folding machine's electricity. If you stopped going out altogether to get coffee then you could power 2 machines.

If you eat out 3 times a week. Eating in on one of those occasions would pay for the electricity for one rig. You get the idea. To me folding is worthwhile to be supported and a small lifestyle change which allows it to continue or be started is worth it IMO.
See less See more
  • Rep+
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimersnerd
View Post

[email protected] doesn't kill components. If you have them cooled well, its no more intensive then playing a game.

: applaud:
See less See more
  • Rep+
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.