Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So as the title says, currently I am building a rig for the gf (cause I need to teach the noob how to play and cause I need a healer in Rift;) ) and am wondering if a 760g (780L)/SB710 Chipset would be bottlenecking a 7950 ATI card in any way; I ask this because I'm building her rig piece by piece and I need to buy her a MoBo but buying her MoBo may be a way for me to upgrade mine and pass down my ever reliable and trusty M5A78L-MLX PLUS which has served me soooooo well (I've literally made 3 copies of my machine and sold em on Clist, everyone who's bought them have loved em!). So with that being said, I also plan on upgrading my GPU (which is a meh GTX 650 core edition which I'll be passing down to her rig as well) so you can see why I care if the 760g/SB710 will bottleneck because of the chipset. Appreciate any and all advice! Thanks again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ohhh, and a small side note, if anyone could shed some light to let me know if an old Athlon x2 215 would be suffice to play some mid-level games such as LoL, CodMW3, Rift with a GTX650, thanks!

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I have the same chipset and it doesnt bottleneck the HD6850.
the PCIe 2.0 is enough for a single HD7970 / GTX680

LoL and MW3 will be maxed out easily, but Ive never heard of Rift.
Looking at Rift screenshots I can assume it will be maxed out as well.
Clock the athlon to at least 3.2 Ghz, to relieve some bottleneck, but you still wont get full gpu usage for games that need a quadcore like BF3.

·
Banned
7,797 Posts
It certainly won't bottleneck a card. I'm using the Gtx 650ti which is around 50% more powerful than the gtx 650 and I face no problems.

·
Registered
659 Posts
There will be no bottleneck when using that chipset as it is still pcie 2.0 like the high end AMD motherboards.

Your cpu will bottleneck your gpu in those games if you use a low resolution but not to the point of running under 60 fps. lol will run very well on almost any dual core and MW3 does not need much cpu power.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Ok. PPL need to do some search. PCI-E 2.0 will bottleneck a PCI-E 3.0 video card, but only by 3-5 FPS. Which is not that bad. Your CPU will be the big Bottleneck in gaming. Most MMOs like CPU speed and internet speed over GPU.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post

Ok. PPL need to do some search. PCI-E 2.0 will bottleneck a PCI-E 3.0 video card, but only by 3-5 FPS. Which is not that bad. Your CPU will be the big Bottleneck in gaming. Most MMOs like CPU speed and internet speed over GPU.
Only if you run Titans in SLI.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattifnatten View Post

Yes, but any high end PCI-E 3.0 will bottleneck a PCI-E 2.0. Like I said you need to do some search. HD7950/7970 or GTX670/680/690/770/780/Titan/690 will bottleneck in a PCI-E 2.0. In most cases HD7950/7970 only by 3-5 FPS.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Quote:

Yes, but any high end PCI-E 3.0 will bottleneck a PCI-E 2.0. Like I said you need to do some search. HD7950/7970 or GTX670/680/690/770/780/Titan/690 will bottleneck in a PCI-E 2.0. In most cases HD7950/7970 only by 3-5 FPS.
Losing <1% is not a bottleneck IMO

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalbkrad View Post

I have the same chipset and it doesnt bottleneck the HD6850.
the PCIe 2.0 is enough for a single HD7970 / GTX680

LoL and MW3 will be maxed out easily, but Ive never heard of Rift.
Looking at Rift screenshots I can assume it will be maxed out as well.
Clock the athlon to at least 3.2 Ghz, to relieve some bottleneck, but you still wont get full gpu usage for games that need a quadcore like BF3.
Great info! You have replied to a couple of other posts I've made I believe, thanks again for being a great forumer in the OC community!
biggrin.gif
(BTW, I'm not sure how high I can clock that thing, the multiplier is locked I'm sure and increasing the Bus Speed to 215-220ish (if the MoBo can take it) might only get me so much in terms of Core Speed increase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason387 View Post

It certainly won't bottleneck a card. I'm using the Gtx 650ti which is around 50% more powerful than the gtx 650 and I face no problems.
Well, that's somewhat helpful but you haven't stated if you're using the same Chipset, and furthermore a 650ti can't really be compared to a 7950 (especially OC'd)=/ However I appreciate your input!
thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by South80 View Post

There will be no bottleneck when using that chipset as it is still pcie 2.0 like the high end AMD motherboards.

Your cpu will bottleneck your gpu in those games if you use a low resolution but not to the point of running under 60 fps. lol will run very well on almost any dual core and MW3 does not need much cpu power.
What?... all AM3+ high end MoBos use PCI-E 3.0, not 2.0...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattifnatten View Post

photo Notsureifmeme_zps36bdf35f.jpeg

Quote:

Yes a agree, but it is still bottleneck the PCI-E 2.0.

EDIT
I further give ppl fact than my own opinion.
Thank you good sir, that is what we all seek, facts, not opinions.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Great read, now that I know that ATI cards have nearly 0% increase in 3.0 over 2.0 I'll be glad to stick with muh MoBo!=D These Micro Asus boards are the tits! Really great room for OC'in, I was a little scarred I had to replace mine already but after reading I'm glad I don't. I wonder why GTX's receive a marginal increase in 3.0 over 2.0, maybe the drivers that everyone swears by? Idk.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeeze View Post

What?... all AM3+ high end MoBos use PCI-E 3.0, not 2.0...
Every AMD motherboard except the Asus sabertooth 990fx Gen3 is PCI-E 2.0. The Asus sabertooth uses a plx chip so it is not a true PCI-E 3.0 motherboard either.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

You're completely right, I honestly could of sworn that they were 3.0, my mistake.
Quote:

Every AMD motherboard except the Asus sabertooth 990fx Gen3 is PCI-E 2.0. The Asus sabertooth uses a plx chip so it is not a true PCI-E 3.0 motherboard either.
Thank you for adding this, I honestly thought they were 3.0 but after a quick check they're mostly 2.0

1 - 15 of 15 Posts