Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, A few days ago I was on my other P.O.S. Computer and I got a pop up about my registry, how it was messed up and how a program would help it. I exited it and it still loaded to a site which tried to download stuff onto my computer. Nevertheless I ended the process but now This stuff is starting to pop up on my pc. Virus or just some random microsoft being microsoft crap?

Screenshot below>>>

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Might be spyware, try using Microsoft's Antispyware program or Adaware by Lavasoft (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...TMtHmJbxZwHIw). It should pick it up and then you will be able to remove it. However, if you restart and it comes back again, reboot your rig in safe mode and run either spyware program again. Then look for the actual software exe file and delete it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh!! your kidding me!!
I hate the other computer, Crap always pops on over due to shared network drives. Ugh, I'll have to reformat that computer tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ugh..Ran the scan nothing! I noticed last night, and more so today that my harddrive spins ENDLESSLY when I leave my comp on idle. The thing keeps flickering away, And it's performance/lifespan thinger has decreased in the S.M.A.R.T. charts. Blah!!

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
yeah it is a data miner for sure--I think you got it off a spammer email--you need to shred those spams--curiousity killed the machine this time--I think jail time or at least heavy fines should be manadatory for all spammers!

EDIT: or a website that loads a trojan when you browse....

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
i've had this too - I get it on isohunt, your pc isnt infected, dont worry. Its just an annoyance. Whatever you click it takes you to the site. Just click ok and hit espace before it starts to change what your looking at. It even appears and work in linux.

Spyware programmers are getting more devious

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Jester

i've had this too - I get it on isohunt, your pc isnt infected, dont worry. Its just an annoyance. Whatever you click it takes you to the site. Just click ok and hit espace before it starts to change what your looking at. It even appears and work in linux.

Spyware programmers are getting more devious

I disagree with that"isn't infected" part--if I get something I can't remove that mines my HDD for data, opens a port (use a scanner--you'll see the activity) and sends my data to a remote observer that's a trojan...it uses system resources, resists removal and compromises security--yes it's spyware. No it won't destroy your data--it just copys it and gives it to a spammer who then sells it to legitimate companies seeking to better market there services.

As it causes a drain on your system resources and bogs down you r PC and compormises you secuirty I WOULD WORRy--though not a virus it is something I would definietly not want and would try to remove--and yes the malware (rootkits for the BIOS now) are getting so devious that defense is being built in at the hardware level to protect from these buffer over-run attacks.

Thanks for clarifying the point Jester---you are right that it is not a "virus" in the sense that it wants to destroy your data--but it is IMHO an infection...

different words for the same thing I guess...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts