Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an article saying that the nvidia quadro 400 series for $150 outperforms a GTX 580 by 5 times. That is pretty much the equivalent of 5 580's in penta-SLI or some crap. Anyway I also heard that there is a possibility of being able to game on a workstation card, but others tell me its for 3d rendering only, and cannot play games. So can they play games at all? If so, I'm gonna get one.

BTW here's the link to the article:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20110406235438_Nvidia_Quadro_400_for_169_Outperforms_GeForce_GTX_580_by_Five_Times.html

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Yes you can game on workstation cards, but the drivers are optimized for precision and accuracy instead of speed. The benchmark where it's five times better than a GTX 580 tests certain workstation performance, not gaming performance. GTX 580 is way better for gaming.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
yes, you can play games on them, though it is possible that 'some' games may have issues w/ it's drivers.

That said, you need to ask yourself "5 times performance" at WHAT EXACTLY.

If you buy one of these for playing games, you just wasting a hell of a lot of money tbqh.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Looks like they are taking a workstation card and doing a workstation benchmark and doing that same benchmark on a 580...Really a Apples to Oranges comparison here...

Now if they did a gaming benchmark...the 580 would be 5 times better than the workstation card.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
As stated above:
Workstation = accuracy at the expense of performance
Gaming = Performance at the expense of accuracy

I don't really see the point in modding a workstation card into a gaming card or vice versa unless you have a workstation card and want to play games and have no/little funds. And again, that goes both ways.

I think you got confused on what the data meant and got excited for no reason. Happens to a lot of us when first getting into such things.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Workstation card outgaming a more expensive gaming card? Will never happen.

Almost as funny as when I see people build massive SR-2 builds intended for "video rendering/ 3d animation" then they put tri-sli 580s.

Workstation and gaming is two completely different architectures, and you don't implement one to try and do the other's job.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Looks like they are taking a workstation card and doing a workstation benchmark and doing that same benchmark on a 580...Really a Apples to Oranges comparison here...

Now if they did a gaming benchmark...the 580 would be 5 times better than the workstation card.
Honestly I didn't even read the article, just the title. I figured I'd ask here because I had always wondered if it was possible to game on a workstation gpu.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts