Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1ForFrags View Post
I'm pretty sure you can, but I'm sure that that SSD will be pretty damn slow.
it wouldnt be the x-25v?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Can be connected externally through Mini USB2.0 or internally through SATA II
It doesn't matter, you can connect it with SATA anyways.

·
Banned
3,749 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhudson View Post
it wouldnt be the x-25v?
I'm not at all sure, but do you really think they're going to put a top of the line SSD on a USB 2.0 bus?

It's an SSD, but it sure won't be breaking any speed records. I'd recommend not chancing it.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
From what i gathered it is a "intel 40GB SSD Extreme V series". And the "X25-V" is about a $100 bucks on the egg. But i don't think you will get the same warranty as if you just bought a intel x25-v retail/oem. As those PQI's should have a different sticker on those ssd's i would think.

So you saving about $20 bucks and probably will not get a warranty as if you bought the drive stand alone. But it is still a good price. Here is what most are saying they are getting out the drive.

Sequential Access - Read up to 170MB/s
Sequential Access - Write up to 35MB/s

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowman88 View Post
?
Someone didn't get the memo i see...

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
It is most likely the 40Gb Intel SSD that is sold for $100 currently. It's a good drive, but for a few bucks more you can get a 40Gb drive with the Sandforce controller for $100 or if you have a MC in your area you can get the 64Gb Onyx drive for $90. As far as the drive working outside of the box, I had no problem taking the Intel drive out of the Dan Electric external box and using it in the laptop I am typing on right now. Keep the box and your warranty will be through PQI.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by utnorris
View Post

It is most likely the 40Gb Intel SSD that is sold for $100 currently. It's a good drive, but for a few bucks more you can get a 40Gb drive with the Sandforce controller for $100 or if you have a MC in your area you can get the 64Gb Onyx drive for $90. As far as the drive working outside of the box, I had no problem taking the Intel drive out of the Dan Electric external box and using it in the laptop I am typing on right now. Keep the box and your warranty will be through PQI.

I hope you know that the Onyx drives are pretty dam slow for SSD's. I'd rather sacrifice the space and get the huge boost in speed.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch...iteria=BA39924

PQI external ssd w/ intel inside.

can you take out the ssd and use it with a computer?

also can someone link me to a cheap 2.5 to 3.5 mounting thingy?
Yes you could although the price is the same as just buying a Intel X25-V, so why would you, unless you really want the SATA-USB adapter...

Quote:

I'm pretty sure you can, but I'm sure that that SSD will be pretty damn slow.
Nope, X25-V is pretty decent actually.. not as fast as Sandforce and such but faster then all the older SSDs

Quote:

it wouldnt be the x-25v?
I would say it would be

Quote:

I'm not at all sure, but do you really think they're going to put a top of the line SSD on a USB 2.0 bus?

It's an SSD, but it sure won't be breaking any speed records. I'd recommend not chancing it.
Why would they develop a new slower SSD product isn't that going to cost a bundle in R&D, just to have a new junk product?

Quote:

Originally Posted by utnorris View Post
Yep it will be, and advice on Sandforce is correct, so only get the Intel if you're dead set on the 100 buck price limit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by utnorris View Post
You do realize the Intel 40Gb SSD is also handicapped? Take a look at the specs and you will find the Onyx is the same or better.
Yep it's handicapped, but it wasn't as slow to start with, so I would buy it every time over the half-Indilinx drives like Onyx.

A review that compares them:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3756/2...-take-on-intel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts