Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've recently purchased an AMD 4850e 45w processor to slip into an AM2 socket laptop. The fan connector on the laptop mainboard is a mere 5v connector. I intend to equip it with a 5v 80mm fan that I've bought and just connect the red and black wires from that fan to the red and black wires from the old laptop fan connector.

I'm worried that this may not be enough to keep things cool in the tight little space and if it's not, I'm hoping there might be a relatively simple way to tap into the 12v rail of the laptop to equip it with a more powerfull 120mm fan aswell. There is not/will not be a battery in this laptop and from what I understand, that should free up some of the load on the 12v rail.

Any direction with this topic is greatly appreciated as right now, I feel like I may have bit off more than I can chew.

Thanks.

*edit* I probably should have put this in the volt mod section...

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
I think you shouldn't tap quite directly on the lappy's motherboard, who knows what circuits you may overload and you'll find yourself with a very expensive piece of furniture.
You should get 12V from the battery. There is a connector between the battery and the lappy. One of the contacts is usually the +12V, the other ones being +5, +3.3 and so on. There may be more of each (I have 6 contacts on the connector for example, I imagine at least 2 of them are +12V), search with a multimeter the one you need.
The advantage of tapping at this point is that you're taking juice from the source, you don't risk to overload or starve a mobo component. However, be very careful: the battery isn't designed for that, you may overload it. You should to observe if the battery heats up after the mod.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragosmp View Post
I think you shouldn't tap quite directly on the lappy's motherboard, who knows what circuits you may overload and you'll find yourself with a very expensive piece of furniture.
You should get 12V from the battery. There is a connector between the battery and the lappy. One of the contacts is usually the +12V, the other ones being +5, +3.3 and so on. There may be more of each (I have 6 contacts on the connector for example, I imagine at least 2 of them are +12V), search with a multimeter the one you need.
The advantage of tapping at this point is that you're taking juice from the source, you don't risk to overload or starve a mobo component. However, be very careful: the battery isn't designed for that, you may overload it. You should to observe if the battery heats up after the mod.
There wont be a battery. this laptop will become a desktop.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by exad View Post
There wont be a battery. this laptop will become a desktop.
then just either, A) find where the battery leads go on the mobo and solder the fan to the +12v and GND (best way) or B) stick the wires in the spots where the battery +12v is supposed to be. if its plugged in it should be putting voltage out there.

• Rep+
Reactions: exad

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
then just either, A) find where the battery leads go on the mobo and solder the fan to the +12v and GND (best way) or B) stick the wires in the spots where the battery +12v is supposed to be. if its plugged in it should be putting voltage out there.
Sweet thanks but.. if it's plugged in and turned off won't the fan still spin due the voltage coming from the battery leads? Should I make some sort of switch? am I smart enough to do that?

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by exad View Post
Sweet thanks but.. if it's plugged in and turned off won't the fan still spin due the voltage coming from the battery leads? Should I make some sort of switch? am I smart enough to do that?
if you put the wires in the leads, they fan will stop spinning because it will be getting power from the computer, not the battery

• Rep+
Reactions: exad

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
if you put the wires in the leads, they fan will stop spinning because it will be getting power from the computer, not the battery
Oh ok thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My fan has three colors one is red,yellow and black. which one of them am I going to tap to the +12v connector and where will other two be located?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts