Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I would like some insight on a possible upgrade to my system. Here is what I have now and I would really like some options on what I could/should upgrade.

MOBO: ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W

RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower

GPU: EVGA 896-P3-1267-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3

I built this computer around thanksgiving 08 and play games fairly often. I recently got Battlefield Bad Company 2 and on high settings at 1280x1024 I was getting around 30 FPS. I have since turned down the settings to medium and get 40-50 FPS currently.

·
RTX Sight Unseen
2,373 Posts
Budget?

·
Registered
727 Posts
If there is no budget then go SB with SLI GTX 580's and 8GB of DDR3 2000 memory LOL That's a butt load of money so how much would you like to spend?
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'd like to know what my largest bottleneck is at the moment. If I do upgrade what parts of my current setup could be reused? If this were your system how would you upgrade it? I'd prefer to spend less than 1500 if possible.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastegate13;11984821
Well I'd like to know what my largest bottleneck is at the moment. If I do upgrade what parts of my current setup could be reused? If this were your system how would you upgrade it? I'd prefer to spend less than 1500 if possible.
For less than $1500 you could create a MONSTER rig these days
smile.gif

To answer your question your biggest bottlenecks atm are your monitor resolution, a CPU that is not overclocked and is only a dual core, and a gpu that could use an upgrade.

Just upgrading those and adding a cooling solution to help your OC's would be cheap and easy.

But if you have a $1500 budget I would suggest putting together a Sandy Bridge build.

Now the question then becomes - what are your main uses of the rig? Folding? Gaming? Just office use? This can help to provide the best choice budget wise unless you are just looking for raw horsepower.

Also go to this link and put your system information into it so you won't have to repost it as it will then show up in your signature on every post. http://www.overclock.net/specs.php

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
A good upgrade that would be on the lower side of budget would be

Q9550 or Q9650
GTX 470
Monitor that supports 1900x1080 or 1920x1200

This upgrade would be able to keep your build going for another couple of years depending if you get the bug to do a full system overhaul and jump to a different socket.

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aawa;11985061
A good upgrade that would be on the lower side of budget would be

Q9550 or Q9650
GTX 470
Monitor that supports 1900x1080 or 1920x1200

This upgrade would be able to keep your build going for another couple of years depending if you get the bug to do a full system overhaul and jump to a different socket.
THIS + SSD + a good CPU cooler and some overclocking will get you a significantly more powerful rig

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Currently have an antec 850w psu. I forgot to list it before.

Could you expand on my resolution being a bottleneck? I wouldn't be totally against replacing my mobo, CPU and ram. I could throw those into a cheap case and give it to my mother to replace her dreadful HP. The new sandy bridge stuff that's coming out, is it that great of an improvement over the i7 that's out now or would it be wiser to take advantage of the savings on an older CPU? That was my plan when I built my current system, I had plans of OCing but never saw a need as I was playing bf2 then. My main usage is gaming, my current system is more than sufficient for anything else I do.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Well like some of the previous posts said you could go to a Q9550 or 9650, a better video card GTX 460/470 better monitor that handles 1900x1080/1920x1200 and add a SSD HDD. IMO, if I had the money I would just go for the SB and then you wouldn't have to worry about it for a couple more years. You won't need a Case or PSU (maybe) and I put together a decent system for like $800

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14817725

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastegate13;11984474
Let's pretend that I don't have one.
then you must get a i7 2600k, EVGA Classifed P67, 8GB 2600MHz Ram, with tri sli GTX 580's !
tongue.gif

ON a real note, u should grab a socket 775 quad for like cheap (Q9550) and a GTX 570 would be around a $500 upgrade that would be really awsome compaired to what u have now.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastegate13;11985165
Currently have an antec 850w psu. I forgot to list it before.

Could you expand on my resolution being a bottleneck?

At your low resolution you wouldn't need much of any gpu upgrade as it would be similar to purchasing a Lamborghini and never taking it above 55mph. With a higher resolution monitor a gpu upgrade would no longer be a waste and your games would look nice
smile.gif

I wouldn't be totally against replacing my mobo, CPU and ram. I could throw those into a cheap case and give it to my mother to replace her dreadful HP.

Fortunately for you, you don't have to - you have a great base system for cheap upgrading, a quadcore Q9650 or something similar, a new monitor, and a new GPU and upgraded CPU cooling and you would be set to OC the quad and have a very good gaming system on the cheap.

The new sandy bridge stuff that's coming out, is it that great of an improvement over the i7 that's out now or would it be wiser to take advantage of the savings on an older CPU?

actually prices of the current gen i7 stuff have not gone down much and won't go down very much in retail for a while based on previous history with intel products. You might get lucky and purchase i7 stuff in the for sale forums for cheap from people trying to move up to Sandy Bridge - but for similar money you could get yourself into a Sandy Bridge configured system retail price. - and since you won't need a new case or PSU, then you would be back to just upgrading Monitor, cpu, gpu and then only have to tack on motherboard and ram and a semi decent cpu cooler.

That was my plan when I built my current system, I had plans of OCing but never saw a need as I was playing bf2 then. My main usage is gaming, my current system is more than sufficient for anything else I do.
For gaming I would honestly go with the cheap upgrade route of getting a Q9xxx and new gpu and monitor. The 775 socket still keeps up with the newer stuff decently well and you could save the money for the next chip coming out (Ivy Bridge) or beyond. But that said you also wouldn't feel sad if you did pick up a Sandy Bridge setup
tongue.gif

I haven't linked anything because I feel everyone else will do that - just hoping this will help clarify some previous posts!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nothing against anyone but I love it when everyone says just do a small upgrade and then wait for the next gen CPU to come out. LOL It happens just about every year or every other year that some new cpu is coming. If you wait for IVY then Haswell/Rockwell is next then whatever else is after them and so on.

If I had the money I would def. go for SB as it is the best that is out right now then you can afford to pass up a few other next gen chips (IVY/Rockwell).
biggrin.gif
just my opinion.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nope doesn't work. Go into public wish lists and select one of them and then copy the link and just change out the ending numbers in the link with the numbers at the end of your wishlist.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhardin;11986205
Nope doesn't work. Go into public wish lists and select one of them and then copy the link and just change out the ending numbers in the link with the numbers at the end of your wishlist.
Easier to just copy and paste.

EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W

Asus ML238H 23"

Total is 794.97 before shipping which will probably be free anyway. Thoughts?

·
Registered
727 Posts
That's good but it just kills me that you are going to spend that much money when for a like $100 or so extra you can have SB
biggrin.gif

1 - 20 of 33 Posts