Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and also a little green on building computers. I'm currently building my 2nd PC (or attempting), first one being 5 years ago. First, let me list the parts I had put together 5 days ago, when I first tried to power up.

Asus Z170-Deluxe Mobo
Intel i7 6700K CPU
GSkill DDR4 3400Mhz (4x8GB) RAM
Samsung NVMe 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) Primary Drive for OS
Samsung Ultra II SSD (480GB) Secondary Drive for data files
EVGA GE Force GTX 980 Ti Gpu
Asus Optical Drives (Bluray) (qty 2)
EVGA 1000G PSU
CPU & Case Fans

My plan was to install Windows 7 Pro.

My problem is that I get a Q-Code of 99 and the Boot Device LED remains on constantly, and will not POST to BIOS (or whatever it's called now). No matter what I've tried by reading various boards and thread inputs, I can't get any farther than this error. So, my next thought was to upgrade my BIOS using the USB Flash method.

Currently, the only things connected in my system today are: Mobo, CPU, CPU fan, 1 stick of RAM, PSU, and the Ultra II SSD as my primary drive (connected to the SATA port labeled OS). I removed the M.2 SSD (which was originally connected to the Mobo M.2 Socket), removed 3 sticks of RAM, removed the GPU, removed case fans, removed all connectors from front of case, removed both Optical drives, no keyboard, no mouse, and no display. Also, currently, all switches are in the default position and I haven't used any jumpers.

So, I'm looking for help. Is there anything else I should try before trying the USB Flash?

Are there any step-by-step instructions for flashing the BIOS to the latest? For instance, I think I need to use a USB that has been made bootable and FAT32? I read somewhere that a file on the USB has to be renamed to what the current level BIOS is? If so, how do I find out what version BIOS my mobo shipped with?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Kix

·
Registered
188 Posts
Oi, you have issues. Did you plug in both PSU connections? The 24 0pin as well as the 8 pin? You get no video out at all? Q code 99 sounds like CPU is jazzed. Also, if you disconnect the disc completely, it will eliminate one more point of failure. Bios should be available even without a disk. As for the bios flash. I have only done it from within the bios where the file name does not matter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 24 pin connected and have done so a few times to make sure the connection was good. As for the 8 pin connector, the power supply cable that I received is actually two 4 pin connectors side-by side plugging into the mobo that can only be connected together in the 8 pin socket one way(single 8 pin connector on the PSU end). I've reseated that connection multiple times as well.

I get no video at all except the little box moving around the monitor saying "no video connection". But because I don't POST and make it to BIOS/UEFI, I'm not really sure I would/should expect to see anything at this time.

I'm not sure what you're meaning by "disconnect the disk completely". But I've tried with no SSD drives connected, and have swapped the standard SSD drive and the M.2 NVVe both singley as my primary drive. M.2 drive only tested in mobo M.2 slot, SSD using SATA connector labeled OS Drive. If by "disk: you mean the CPU, I have not tried powering up the mobo without a CPU. Is that something I should try?

Thanks for your help!

Kix

PS: Being new to this forum, should I have posted this under the ASUS North America - ASUS Z170 Motherboards Q&A Thread ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well, sounds like you tried everything then. CPU, RAM, PSU or Mobo is your issue. Check the CPU install carefully and then RMA that mobo is what I would do.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think it would be a waste of time to try flashing the Bios?

Thanks again for the response,
Kix

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, wertyrass.

As a last resort to RMA'ing the mobo, I'll try your suggestion. I have to remove it to send it back anyway, so I haven't anything to lose.

I reposted my initial thread to the ASUS North America - ASUS Z170 thread. So, I'm just going to let this thread die out...

Kix

1 - 7 of 7 Posts