• Battlefield 4 - 70% to 79%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Battlefield 4 - 60% to 69%

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Battlefield 4 - 50% to 59%

• Battlefield 4 - 49% or below

• This poll is insane! What have you done to this thread you maniac!?!?

Votes: 10 21.7%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not 100% sure this is the right subforum, but I'll go ahead anyway since it's about a game and the PC Gaming subforum is WAY more popular than the General Videocard subforum.

I would like to make this thread as streamlined and informative as possible, whilst keeping it efficient. W/ that in mind, this is how I envision postings. But feel free to post whatever of course!
thumb.gif

Game: Battlefield 3
Map: Gulf of Oman
Settings: Ultra, 4x MSAA, HBAO
Resolution: 1680 x 1050

CPU: i5 760 @ 3.6 Ghz
GPU: GTX 780 @ 1150 (boost clock)/6000
RAM: 16 GB @ 1380 Mhz CL9.9.9.9.24 1T
HDD/SSD: Intel 520 240 GB

I...think...that's about it.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no, you're not just gonna come in here and skate by w/ a vote and a single sentence! Got some questions for ya buddy.

1. You're still on Windows 7?
2. Does it stutter?
3. Did you do the process priority trick?
4. Would you mind disabling HT, if you're running it?
5. I'd LOVE to see a BF4 Beta graph.
6. What speed is your 3770K @?
7. I don't have anymore questions, but I thought 7 was a good number to end on.

Come on man, you can't just leave me hangin' like that! I'm getting HALF the power from my GPU and NEED to know if it's the HT that makes all the difference. Cause I'm gonna beat this "friend" of mine that said I would be OK w/ an i5! (hint: He's viewing this thread right now!! You know who you are buddy!!)

Edit: Wow, 3 people already w/ 90% usage in the Beta. Guys, I would really love you to post some info in here so we can get a good idea of what's causing the low usage for some of us. I know it's easy to just vote and move on, but it doesn't help anyone!
thumb.gif

·
Banned
3,062 Posts
I'll vote on the poll in a bit after I try out BF3. In the BF4 beta I was getting 70-75% usage on 64 player conquest. Rig specs are in my sig.

·
TotallydubbedHD on YT
11,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post

Oh no, you're not just gonna come in here and skate by w/ a vote and a single sentence! Got some questions for ya buddy.

1. You're still on Windows 7?
2. Does it stutter?
3. Did you do the process priority trick?
4. Would you mind disabling HT, if you're running it?
5. I'd LOVE to see a BF4 Beta graph.
6. What speed is your 3770K @?
7. I don't have anymore questions, but I thought 7 was a good number to end on.

Come on man, you can't just leave me hangin' like that! I'm getting HALF the power from my GPU and NEED to know if it's the HT that makes all the difference. Cause I'm gonna beat this "friend" of mine that said I would be OK w/ an i5! (hint: He's viewing this thread right now!! You know who you are buddy!!)

Edit: Wow, 3 people already w/ 90% usage in the Beta. Guys, I would really love you to post some info in here so we can get a good idea of what's causing the low usage for some of us. I know it's easy to just vote and move on, but it doesn't help anyone!
thumb.gif
1. Win7 64bit (royally screw win8)
2. VERY VERY rarely - actually stuttered a loton OLDER drivers -> I'm on the BETA drivers (they work the best for me)
3. Nope!
4. I'll never disable my HT - sorry. I got an i7 for a reason.
5. I'll see what I get next time I play
6. 4.5ghz
7. Fair enough. 007.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

4. I'll never disable my HT - sorry. I got an i7 for a reason.
Bummer. If you took the time to disable HT and found out it stuttered and you got lower GPU usage...well, you would be a MASSIVE help to me. But I'm sure someone will come in here eventually w/ that info. Thanks for answering my other questions. Really interesting that you don't see stuttering on Win 7. I can only assume this is from the HT.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.
thumb.gif

Would you mind disabling HT and reporting back if that made things worse?

Edit: Also very interesting that Tdubbed is getting 90% and you're getting 70% given that your CPU and GPU are both a tier above his AND you're on Windows 8. Just makes things even more confusing.

But really, we need graphs to be certain.

·
Banned
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post

Thanks.
thumb.gif

Would you mind disabling HT and reporting back if that made things worse?

Edit: Also very interesting that Tdubbed is getting 90% and you're getting 70% given that your CPU and GPU are both a tier above his AND you're on Windows 8. Just makes things even more confusing.

But really, we need graphs to be certain.
I don't WANT to disable HT, but for the purpose of testing, I can. It will just have to be tomorrow, so if you can wait.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, guys I don't mean to be a nag, but I just REALLY wanna know definitively whether or not HT matters. So yes, I can wait. I can wait as long as you need Marafice Eye. And THANK YOU so much for doing this.

I'd love to have Tdubbed do it too as he's getting 90% GPU usage, which is as good as I could hope for. Whaddya say bro...for me? I don't mean to bribe you, but how many posts of yours would you need me to rep? Or paypal you some beer money?
thumb.gif

Also, just played w/ the resolution scaling option. When I set this to 200%, this is what I get...

You can see just before I did that during normal play @ 100% res scale, the voltage doesn't even go full 3D and neither do the clocks. So something is definitely way wrong.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm especially interested in your results because I have a 4670K coming in the mail within a week. At this point I'm wondering if I need to just sell the chip and the board and move to LGA 2011. I've already committed to a major pc upgrade so why not...then again, X79 is so 2011.
frown.gif

I wonder what the chances are of a 6 core 1150 chip coming down the pipe in the next year or so?

·
PC Evangelist
47,621 Posts
In BF3 it depends on the MAP but GPU usage is 70-80%. In BF4 there is still a problem with drivers. GPU 1 60-80, GPU 2 80-100.

·
Banned
3,062 Posts
So HT disabled made no difference for me

HT OFF-

BF3

Usage - 90-98%
VRAM - 1.6-1.9GB
FPS - 80+

BF4

Usage - 70-75%
VRAM - 1.9GB
FPS 80+

HT ON

BF3

Usage - 90-98%
VRAM - 1.6-1.9GB
FPS - 80+

BF4

Usage - 70-75%
VRAM - 1.9GB
FPS 80+

Identical usage no matter if HT was on or off, so I think you're safe with that 4670K

·
TotallydubbedHD on YT
11,564 Posts
GPU before starting and within the game HT is ON: Huge dips is me ALT+TABing
Before:

Whilst in-game:

EDIT: I'ma nice guy - so here's the results:
HT OFF makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE!

I had stutters periodically (explains the spikes)

·
OC Enthusiast
1,054 Posts
wow W8 fixed the lag i had on w7 (dips to 30fps) now looks so stable and easy to play in the tank and heli.
and the gpu usage is a lot higher than before

windows8 still sucks for everyday use

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
The Hatch was always CPU bound. I reported my usage for 3...still haven't touched 4. GPU usage was always moderate....performance was fine though so I didn't want to go screwing anything up.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I get 95-100ish% usage on both BF3 and BF4 beta with 100% CPU on BF4 beta with windows 8.

BF4 beta I have set to med/low the Textures are set to high or ultra and no AA on 1920x1080 my network smoothing is set to 0 simply because with it on I get a lot more BS moments where I know for a fact I had the guy but I died instead the only CON I have seen from it being 0 is you can really tell when a server is lagging. I'm not sure of my FPS I haven't bothered to check after the initial setup which was 40-50 FPS I believe the FPS has gotten higher because things have gotten a lot smoother after a GPU driver update and the game update. What ever my FPS the game play is amazingly smooth and tolerable.

I have BF3 set to 1920x1080 and Ultra settings except the settings that deal with Tessellation and AA are low/off, both of which kill my card. With the modified settings I get a constant 60+ FPS.

I would post a picture but it is basically a straight line only varying when I die.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts