Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few people on here use linux so i thought - why not?

Post a screeny of your desktop (tidy or otherwise) what distro and window manager your using and the systems specs - if it isnt in your sig. Throw in what ever else you care to tell us about ur tuxbox.

Im installing Ubuntu with KDE as i type. Ill post mine in a couple mins.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I don't have a screenie, I need to reinstall it lol. But I'm running mandriva '06 with the GNOME desktop environment...might change again to kde, but I don't know. and the rig its on, well its in my sig.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I uninstalled when I got my new rig, but...
Was running Ubuntu on a 454mhz Pentium III coppermine, and a beastly 256MB SD RAM, with a nVidia Riva TNT 2 M64 card =)

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollowman8904

What distro/desktop was that?

It's not a Linux distro, but:
FreeBSD/KDE

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone here run gentoo? i found it impossible to install

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
ouroboros1827 ran it for quite a while...and kopeah does, but he's never on.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Running Kubuntu Hoary 64 bit. No screenie as the computer is down. Specs as detailed in the profile.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mandriva Time! Kunbuntu got on my nerves, so im installing Mandriva 10.1

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Jester

Does anyone here run gentoo? i found it impossible to install

As noted earlier, it's really not that hard to install.

A screenie from way back when I had gentoo + e17 and cedega too. I want to install gentoo again, it's just time-consuming. That's all. However, let it be known that if I have gotten anything of out linux, it's learning how it all works, with Gentoo. FreeBSD might be worth a dabble methinks. Time to learn why I didn't like it.

Fedora, don't even remember when I had that. As you can see, doom3 was installed.

To be edited: Was playing css (first time in months lol), brb with a ubuntu/gnome screenshot.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrown

WOW thats a high RES lol...

I believe he is on two monitors (1280x1024 + 1280x1024)...not too high. But yes it's hard to fit on our screens

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Woo..FC5 rocks! i got mp3 support working. Next task is to get it to mount my data partition - although I may just convert it to FAT32 and save the hassle.

Take a gander.

FC5 with Gnome and Darker Theme from Gnomelook.org
Standard Icon Set
Custom Desktop-ish

·
Registered
586 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Jester

Woo..FC5 rocks! i got mp3 support working. Next task is to get it to mount my data partition - although I may just convert it to FAT32 and save the hassle.

Take a gander.

FC5 with Gnome and Darker Theme from Gnomelook.org
Standard Icon Set
Custom Desktop-ish

you just have to download the ntfs rpm for your kernel and then edit your fstab and mount it in terminal.

with ntfs you can read but not write though anyway which is a pain in the arse so I always have a FAT32 partition to shared files between

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm gunna convert the ol' NTFS Data partition to FAT32 - I may loose some efficiency but heh.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Jester,,where did you get the black theme, I don't have that one. Look cool though. I'll post a screenie of mine in a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hehe - I've been asked about my themes numerous times
I like the black themes for stuff. I'll have a hunt around for the link if you want.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.