Overclock.net banner

Post Your Server!!!

934241 Views 4512 Replies 623 Participants Last post by  Prophet4NO1
Just post a picture of your server setup so everyone here can see your Amazing servers. The more pictures the better :D

The post format should be as follows:

Description / Usage(Print server, backups, file server, etc.)

Case:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Memory:
PSU:
OS HDD (If you have one):
Storage HDD(s):
Server Manufacturer (Ex: Dell, HP, You?):

PICS PICS PICS!!!!
4461 - 4480 of 4513 Posts

· Overclocking
11,006 Posts
And I thought having two bays was bad enough. Same case, damn

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

· Senioritis Member
8,657 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
my newly rebuilt plex/hyper v /flexraid storage server/ anything else i need server

corsair 760t case
Super Micro X9DRE-LN4F
Dual Xeon Hex Core cpus 6 core 12thread
Dual Noctua NH-D9DX
96gb ddr3 ecc ram
Dual lsi hba
dual 850 120g ssds that will go in raid 0
480gb ssd for vm storage
10gb nic x520
50+ tbs in storage (using from the old storage server)

Attachments

· Mining the DB
2,328 Posts
Here is my new baby:

A Dell R720.
Specs are :

Dual Intel Xeon OCTA Core E5-2670 2.60Ghz (16 cores, 32 threads total)
64Gb RAM (DDR3 Registered ECC Dimms)
16 X Hot Swap Hard Drive Bays
Dell PERC H710 Raid Controller with BBWC (Support RAID0,RAID1,RAID10,RAID5,RAID50,RAID6, RAID 60)
4 X Gigabit Network Ports 10/100/1000
2 X Redundant Dual Power Supplies
4 x Crucial MX500 250GB SSD's in RAID 10 for OS + VHD's
4 x ST5000LM000 5TB HDDs IN RAID 6 for storage (shucked from Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Portable)

More details available in my thread : http://www.overclock.net/forum/18083-build-logs/1682193-build-log-32thread-64gb-ram-home-server.html

· Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Here is my new baby:
View attachment 154825
View attachment 154833
View attachment 154841

A Dell R720.
Specs are :

Dual Intel Xeon OCTA Core E5-2670 2.60Ghz (16 cores, 32 threads total)
64Gb RAM (DDR3 Registered ECC Dimms)
16 X Hot Swap Hard Drive Bays
Dell PERC H710 Raid Controller with BBWC (Support RAID0,RAID1,RAID10,RAID5,RAID50,RAID6, RAID 60)
4 X Gigabit Network Ports 10/100/1000
2 X Redundant Dual Power Supplies
4 x Crucial MX500 250GB SSD's in RAID 10 for OS + VHD's
4 x ST5000LM000 5TB HDDs IN RAID 6 for storage (shucked from Seagate Backup Plus 5TB Portable)

More details available in my thread : http://www.overclock.net/forum/18083-build-logs/1682193-build-log-32thread-64gb-ram-home-server.html
Good stuff...

· Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Finally removed the "beige" (well, white and blue) monstrosity from the rack and replaced it with some more respectable rack hardware for the same, but much improved purpose (KVM host and KVM/LXC experimentation). Sloooooooowly coming together.

Attachments

· Registered
45 Posts
Quad Socket 192 Threads

He's my contribution:

CPU: 4 x E7-8894V4 ES 24 Core @ 2.3Ghz base, 2.7Ghz all, 3.2Ghz boost
RAM: 512GB DDR4 (16GB 2Rx4 DIMMs, mix of Micron and Samsung ebay specials as ram is stupid expensive these days)
MB: Supermicro X10QBL-4CT
NIC: X550T2 20Gbit Bonded
NVMe: 256GB Samsung PM961
Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra (heavily modified to fit non standard mb, riveted drive cages removed, top fan grill altered to accommodate push/pull cooling through AIOs)
Coolers: 4 x 92mm Asetek 545LC AIOs, 17+ Noctua fans of various sizes.

That chassis picture was part way through my build and is a little old now. I switched the bottom intake for a 200mm, moved the old bottom 140mm to the front top and attached 2 additional 92mm to the motherboard to cool ram. System pulls around 1kW at load, idles around 160w. Added some pretty time series graphs and htop screenshot of it running too :)

Attachments

· Cyberpunk & Mainframes
1,482 Posts
That looks insane and beastly as heck! Really interesting build. You might be able to fit a 140mm fan where the 5.25" slots are (if true 140mm spacing holes) since the edge of the bays seem to have a few holes still (possibly use washer & nut). A 5.25" bay is 133.35mm, so those holes might just be in reach. Just throwing ideas out there. There are 5.25" adapters of course but since you don't have the bay side walls anymore to screw in, I don't think it would work. Not to say you really need it.

· Registered
45 Posts
Thanks :) It's a Broadwell E7 V4 quad socket MB. It's very efficient given my space and cooling constraints. I have another dual socket 44 core E5-2696V4 OEM Linux machine I use as a network gateway and workstation (see attached, again an old picture and has changed a fair bit since that was taken). I prefer this quad socket, saves on a lot of desk space.

That looks insane and beastly as heck! Really interesting build. You might be able to fit a 140mm fan where the 5.25" slots are (if true 140mm spacing holes) since the edge of the bays seem to have a few holes still (possibly use washer & nut). A 5.25" bay is 133.35mm, so those holes might just be in reach. Just throwing ideas out there. There are 5.25" adapters of course but since you don't have the bay side walls anymore to screw in, I don't think it would work. Not to say you really need it.
Cheers, definitely different with it's 4x all in one water cooling. Yep that's where I moved the bottom 140mm fan to in the end after fabing two metal plates. Helps a lot with temperature, as the ram gets cooked by the Jordan Creek II memory buffer heat sinks. I bought all my ram second hand off ebay and had several soft ECC errors. After replacing those bad DIMMS (3 out of 32, not a bad failure rate considering it was half the price of new, ram is such a rip these days :( ) and the additional fans, it's running great now.

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Cheers, definitely different with it's 4x all in one water cooling. Yep that's where I moved the bottom 140mm fan to in the end after fabing two metal plates. Helps a lot with temperature, as the ram gets cooked by the Jordan Creek II memory buffer heat sinks. I bought all my ram second hand off ebay and had several soft ECC errors. After replacing those bad DIMMS (3 out of 32, not a bad failure rate considering it was half the price of new, ram is such a rip these days :( ) and the additional fans, it's running great now.
Awesome machine indeed...

Not sure where this 1/2 price ram of which you speak lives on ebay? ;-)

I'm seeing lots of full-boat $200/16G for "pre-owned".... I'll keep looking.

· Registered
45 Posts
Awesome machine indeed...

Not sure where this 1/2 price ram of which you speak lives on ebay? ;-)

I'm seeing lots of full-boat $200/16G for "pre-owned".... I'll keep looking.
Your best bet it to search for EOL obscure modules from the big 3 manufactures such as: m393a2g40db0-cpb and mta36asf2g72pz-2g1a.

I looked at SK Hynix too but was less of that around at the time of buying

If you are prepared to wait a bit, take the risk of faulty DIMMs and to buy in small quantities (a few sticks at a time or if you're lucky several from "clean" server pulls) you can pick them up. As long as you're running the same model of memory per channel, matching all memory is a myth. I'm running 8 Dimms of Micron and 24 Samsung of two slightly different models in my Quad socket without issue.

· Registered
16 Posts
I built an 16TB unRAID server. It is used for PLEX and creating backups of my other computers. It has been running for about 3 months now, no issues.

New unRAID build:

Case: HAF 912
CPU: i5 3570K (O.C. 4.2Ghz) Still puting in work.
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
RAM: 4x4GB G. Skillz DDR3 816MHz (16GB)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 550 G2 (ECO Mode)
Cache Drive: Samsung 840 PRO - 256GB
Parity Drive: WD 8TB Red
HDD 1: WD 8 TB Red
HDD 2: WD 8TB Red
Boot Drive: USB 16GB x 2
SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B
SATA 6G PCI Express Card
8 x Fans. Should stay cool

Attachments

· Registered
89 Posts
This is amazing. Well done! What purpose will this serve?

He's my contribution:

CPU: 4 x E7-8894V4 ES 24 Core @ 2.3Ghz base, 2.7Ghz all, 3.2Ghz boost
RAM: 512GB DDR4 (16GB 2Rx4 DIMMs, mix of Micron and Samsung ebay specials as ram is stupid expensive these days)
MB: Supermicro X10QBL-4CT
NIC: X550T2 20Gbit Bonded
NVMe: 256GB Samsung PM961
Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra (heavily modified to fit non standard mb, riveted drive cages removed, top fan grill altered to accommodate push/pull cooling through AIOs)
Coolers: 4 x 92mm Asetek 545LC AIOs, 17+ Noctua fans of various sizes.

That chassis picture was part way through my build and is a little old now. I switched the bottom intake for a 200mm, moved the old bottom 140mm to the front top and attached 2 additional 92mm to the motherboard to cool ram. System pulls around 1kW at load, idles around 160w. Added some pretty time series graphs and htop screenshot of it running too /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

· Registered
3,464 Posts
I moved into a new home recently and have been working one migrating things into a rack. I have the hardest parts done now, all the wiring. Today I finished it up and got my router moved into its own rack mount case.

Still need a case for my fileserver. But that will have to wait. All the ones I like are around $400-500. Unless someone has a line on a solid 3U or 4U case with hot-swap bays.

· S13 Fanatic
590 Posts
Hi everyone, here is my 'server/media' PC, It has:

X3450 xeon cpu
16gb ddr3
p7p55d
2x680 in sli for gaming/streaming
1x1070ti for testing purposes
2x500gb hdd
2x1tb hdd
1x10tb hdd
1x60gb ssd
cougar 1000w psu.

I am going to be building a windows server 2016 environment where I need a lot more processing power than this. I was thinking of buying a dual X58/1366 supermicro board and loading it with the max RAM(192)gb and 2xXEON L5520 for 24 cores. In the simulations/lab that will be running the resources don't necessarily need to be blazing fast but a lot of physical cores and ram is needed for virtualization (more clients). Because the X58 supermicro boards don't have driver updates for windows server 2016 will this affect the ability to use windows server 2016, or will the older drivers install fine ? are these boards only good up to 2007/2012? thank you for any reply or input.

edit: https://imgur.com/a/Qa4tiTK here is a picture, ocn picture service isn't letting me drag the photo, attach it, or accept the link for the photo lol..

· Linux > All
1,745 Posts
I love the muscle builds here. Not sure if I posted mine in this thread. Don't always need a ton of muscle to get the job done.

AMD Kabini Quad on the AM1 socket. 8gigs of ram. 120gb ssd for containers / os. 2tb spinner for media storage. And 2tb usb 3.0 for snapraid parity. Direct boots to Kodi for media center in living room as well as provides pxe installers / ltsp pxe boot kodi boxes around the house, dhcp, dns, minecraft, mythtv-backend, apt caching, transmission, backup target for all laptops in the home. All on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS base.

Currently housing 530 movies, 1200 episodes of tv shows, 7-8 gigs of music

I need to get a can of air and clean it out. Otherwise running like a champ for the last couple years.

Attachments

4461 - 4480 of 4513 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.